When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Varsity Free Wheel

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mjac

On Training Wheels
I have a 14 year old Varsity Schwinn Road Bike. I want to install a new Shimano Freewheel. How do I know which Shimano Freewheels will fit...Thanks,mjac

Welcome to the CABE, someone will come along soon with the information you need.

I suspect this is one of the Walmart aluminum framed Varsities. The freewheel is a Shimano spaced 7 speed freewheel with something like 13 to 28 teeth on it. It is an index freewheel with Shimano spacing. Any decent bike shop can get you one. Bring your wheel with you so they can take the old one off. Roger

"rhenning" Right you are. It is an Aluminum Frame Varsity Schwinn from Walmart. Real nice Aluminum Frame. Some of the best Welds I have ever seen. No paint. Polished Aluminum. Took off All the Decals to highlight the Frame. Got it for $100 at Walmart 14 years and a couple of rebuilds ago.

But I Digress. Wanted to avoid Bike Shops because I thought they would be too expensive and wanted to order the right one from Walmart.com. But I contacted a Stand Up Schwinn Shop and he sold me a Shimano Original Equipment Freewheel, 7 Gears, 14-28, for $14.99. Cheaper then Walmart. He pulled the Old Freewheel off for nothing and I took everything home, put in the new Bearings I got from him and repacked them and installed the Freewheel. I was also able to get some new bearings to rebuild my headset. Could not have worked out better. Real nice looking Freewheel. The only thing is another mechanic came by to pull the Old Freewheel and he forgot to give me the Axle Nut and Washer back. Had to Scrounch one up.

I also own one of these bikes and it has been a good bike for me. Made some minor changes and fixed the things the Walmart assembler did wrong. Roger

IMG_9881.jpg

IMG_9882.jpg

Exactly. Buy the Bike in the Box unassembled. Put it together yourself,get rid of the Cage Bearings and adjust all your Bearing Cones Properly. One thing I did when the Headset got loose and I DESTROYED the Headset Plug that Holds the Stem Bolt is, I took out the Bolt holding the front Caliber,fished an I-Bolt down the Stem, threaded the Caliper Bolt through the Eye, Bolted it up,then with a Union brought a piece of Threaded Rod through the top of the Handle Bars. This way you have a Dead Stop and no Plug to get loose. I have a ton of extensions and risers on top of the Headset trying to get the Geometry right. So I needed to really bear down on the Stembolt. In the process right now of rebuilding the Headset.

Man,get rid of all those Decals and Polish that Frame to show it off.

Back