When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn - What brand paint did they use on their bikes?

-
What ever you use as a base coat, it will be to your benefit to use a hardened clear for finish. I use 2K clear in a rattle can.

What ever you use as a base coat, it will be to your benefit to use a hardened clear for finish. I use 2K clear in a rattle can.

Can you buff out a dead pealing flaky yellowed clear coat like we can with these plain old enameled bikes?

Can you buff out a dead pealing flaky yellowed clear coat like we can with these plain old enameled bikes?
You can lightly color sand (1500 wet) the old clear and reaply new clear. Careful not to burn into color. Dont take my word for it..

I see no good reason to clear coat over a good enamel paint job. And the gloss enamel color coat is not considered a base coat.

one reason to put clear on a single stage paint job is to buff it out if the paint is metallic. most paint it is best to read what they say on the can and do that.

the flaky clear coat makes me think of my neighbors 10 year old GMC. it has never seen a garage and does not get a lot of care and the clear is failing all over the truck. being a black truck probably does not help either.

laquer has been mostly banned due to the "Volitil organic compounds" which are the solvents evaporating from the paint into the atmosphere where they cause some sort of damage. how in the heck did they ever figure that out?

I see no good reason to clear coat over a good enamel paint job. And the gloss enamel color coat is not considered a base coat.
Ok..perhaps making an old bike look nice isnt a good idea. I had a bike from the 50s..faded and chipped. I color sanded and cleared..dispite a few chips it looked like new..but not for everyone perhaps.

The biggest mystery to me is how they got that super-thin finish (like lacquer) using enamel, and still got good coverage on the prewar bikes, or on any bikes for that matter. I would really like to know what that paint was or what was in it. Was it applied electrostatically?

Is there any reason to believe that the paint Schwinn sold retail was the same stuff they were using in the factory? I have no idea, but it sounds doubtful.

Back