When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn World Varsity

-

ian

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
In Memoriam
I just picked up Schwinn World Varsity with J65998 on the dropout, and RTG 753
on the BB. Any idea of year built?
Thanks, Ian

Here are some.

20210705_160245.jpg

20210705_160255.jpg

20210705_160319.jpg

20210705_160332.jpg

20210705_160434.jpg

20210705_160512.jpg

April 1953 stamped serial number. Looks like Roger Thomas Goodwin purchased that in July of 1953. Did it come with wheels?

Reactions: ian
April 1953 stamped serial number. Looks like Roger Thomas Goodwin purchased that in July of 1953. Did it come with wheels?
Yes. Schwinn front, and Hercules 3 speed on the back. Not matched set for sure. Narrow painted fenders, white with orange pin stripes.
Who is Roger Thomas Goodwin?

Yes. Schwinn front, and Hercules 3 speed on the back. Not matched set for sure. Narrow painted fenders, white with orange pin stripes.
Who is Roger Thomas Goodwin?
The stamp under the bottom bracket looks like a former owner's mark. I think @GTs58 was being fanciful. Or a smart aleck.
What size is your frame?

The stamp under the bottom bracket looks like a former owner's mark. I think @GTs58 was being fanciful. Or a smart aleck.
What size is your frame?
20 inches from the center of the BB to the top of the seatpost. What size tires would have come on this ride?

Those would be Schwinn S-6 rims originally with 26 x 1-3/8 tires, with a 597 mm bead seat diameter, while most other makes used tires with a 590 mm b.s.d. The balloon tires used on Schwinns became the standard for everybody, but the middleweight and lightweight 26" bikes are where you have to be careful. On the 27" 10 speeds (Varsity, Continental and Suburban), you're back to a common size again.

Those would be Schwinn S-6 rims originally with 26 x 1-3/8 tires, with a 597 mm bead seat diameter, while most other makes used tires with a 590 mm b.s.d. The balloon tires used on Schwinns became the standard for everybody, but the middleweight and lightweight 26" bikes are where you have to be careful. On the 27" 10 speeds (Varsity, Continental and Suburban), you're back to a common size again.
Thanks. I tried to install the new tires that were included but I wasn't strong enough. I'll see if I can find some nearby.
Ian

Back