When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn XR7 flywheel help needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

annajulia

On Training Wheels
I just got a xr7 exercise bike and have been cleaning it up so its not so loud and fixing speedometer drive. In taking off drive from fly wheel and trying get at the bearings to clean and grease I think I knocked something loose.... I can't get the nuts off the threaded bearings going through the flywheel to re grease, so I put everything back together and now the flywheel seems to wobble a little and I can't get good tension on the chain. Does anyone have any advice? possibly with pictures? I can't seem to find any detailed pictures of taking this damn fly wheel apart! Is the flywheel supposed to have a little slop?
would love some help!

-----

The XR7 model launched 1982. It is the first with the metal flywheel. Earlier models employed a weighted spoked bicycle wheel.

There is a year-by-year chronology of Schwinn exercycles here -

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/exerciser/

There is an excellent tutorial on the repair of Schwinn-Huret speedometers here -

http://hughsbicycle.blogspot.com/2012/02/mechanical-speedometer-odometer-look.html

No, the wheel should not wobble.

Sounds like a bearing adjustment is needed.

Adjustment of bearings on this hub takes a 15mm cone wrench.

Chain tension can be fine tuned by where you lock the hub within the axle slot of the frame.

-----

Back