eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

BFGforme

I live for the CABE
Nov 28, 2016
Oceanside CA
It's been offered around here for a week or so for$12g! Pretty sure no more money was offered to seller and was only bought to flip and make an outrageous profit, but to each their own!

Reactions: slick

49autocycledeluxe

I live for the CABE
May 29, 2017
fremont california
I see no reason to pay a guy more for a bike, or anything for that matter, than what the owner has asked. that would just be silly. people make money from their knowledge, there is nothing wrong with that. why do electricians make $45.00 an hour? knowledge. same with wheeler dealers.

a good reason for not doing that is if I had something for sale for $500.00 and someone offered me $2,000.00 I would cancel the sale and go find out what it was really worth.

kreika

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Dec 7, 2016
Santa Cruz
I see no reason to pay a guy more for a bike, or anything for that matter, than what the owner has asked. that would just be silly. people make money from their knowledge, there is nothing wrong with that. why do electricians make $45.00 an hour? knowledge. same with wheeler dealers.

a good reason for not doing that is if I had something for sale for $500.00 and someone offered me $2,000.00 I would cancel the sale and go find out what it was really worth.
Call me silly then or stupid if you like. The daughter of the original owner of this bike was asking $600. I gave her $700. Absolutely made her day. I was ecstatic because of obvious reasons. She even called me later with other parts she found. What goes around comes around.

Love...this...bike!!!!

Maskadeo

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jul 3, 2013
Traverse City, MI, USA
The owner could have spent 5 minutes on google or the CABE and found out what he had. He apparently didn’t do that, so who’s fault is that?

I’ve been putting a brown Ranger together and was checking eBay everyday for parts, but apparently missed that day, oh well. There have been a few jeweled tank bikes in the last three years that have come out of this area for $525 or less, so while they’re far and few in between they are still out there guys!!!

THE STIG

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jul 21, 2013
Waterford, NY

EggZaklee if i see a bluebird for $50.00 im try’n for $20.00 Not my job to educate anyone

slick

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Apr 1, 2010
Modesto,Ca.
Offering someone more than what the bike is offered for is out of appreciation, especially under the circumstance when a bike is underpriced. My full deluxe all original 1939 Pacemaker was not for sale, I made a healthy offer still under retail value and the owner was blown away. He had no idea a bike could be worth that much. So it's appreciated for #1, taking care of the bike for the last umpteen years keeping it unharmed, #2, willing to sell it to me. He could have kept it. So I appreciate the fact I got the offer, and paid a friend a finders fee as well for doing the deal. Bottom line, these bikes won't be around forever. It's up to us to save every one of them. The more profiteers that destroy these bikes for greed, the less original examples will exist for future generations. My two little ones love the old bikes. And that's what it's all about. Teaching them what great things Americans built. Until the next score of the century....... keep them ridden, not hidden.

THE STIG

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jul 21, 2013
Waterford, NY
Offering someone more than what the bike is offered for is out of appreciation, especially under the circumstance when a bike is underpriced.
If they want to pay for the vehicle, gas ,time, etc.. + it costs to sell them too ..swap meets, pack'n, shpg, etc ..

Last edited:
Reactions: bikebozo
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

stoney

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jul 19, 2013
Fuquay Varina, NC, United States
I would like to see it go to auction also. I think it would bring what it is worth maybe a little more. Hopefully it doesn't hang around too long and become tainted as some things do.

whizzer kid

I live for the CABE
Mar 23, 2015
Buffalo, United States
we are all waiting for the new owner reveal... he's been offering it around for stupid money...(mega greed)
....love to see this go to auction
I’m on this side of the US .. I wish I would have seen that ebay ad! Bikes pop up here on the east coast so much more the back in
Oregon. That ranger is very sweet , congratulations to the new owner!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sue12

Look Ma, No Hands!
Aug 7, 2016
sacramento ca
Man Chris that is the baddest ass story I have heard this year! I hope the owner got the bike of their dreams n at that price too. Those deals don’t happen often but they do happen! The once in a longtime or life time deal is an awesome story.

SKPC

I live for the CABE
Feb 2, 2018
Utah - United States
I find it interesting how people get all wound up over a silly Schwinn with a funny seat..there are thousands and thousands of them( I have a propensity for overstatement) and they ride like fat pigs(not an overstatement). At least this bike is a cool original looking one and not lipsticked-out, perfectly primped and chromed, sitting in someone's "bicycle room"..C'mon man!:innocent: Kidding aside, to each his own..

Last edited:

Barto

I live for the CABE
Mar 13, 2015
Somers, United States
I don't think that would ever happen even on hallowed ground. Does a seller give an ignorant buyer a rebate after he rips them off?
I did that once for a pedal car. Stopped at a Tag Sale of mostly junk but I spotted a pedal car. She had it priced at $25.00 and when I showed interest she imeadeatly said she could do better on the price. This lady was at single Mom who was just trying to eek or a living. I told her the real value she should expect and told her to list on ebay or Craigs list. She took it off the lawn and was very grateful with the information.

On the flip side, I saw another pedal car that was a reproduction priced as an OG! They actually thanked me for the information and re-priced the car..

Pauliemon

Finally riding a big boys bike
Dec 22, 2009
Sacramento, California
It's ebay, not Christie's Auction. If that's what the seller wanted, they got it. When they put it on ebay they were to expect whatever outcome they got, it's a CONTRACT.

Now it probably doesn't matter where it goes after that, you own it, you have that right. I can only hope that it will be ridden and appreciated, but again, I have no say.

So it doesn't matter now, it was a FAIR transaction and I would gather the sale was completed, no?

It sounds like the seller wanted Grandpa's bike to be of use to somebody and it wasn't to them. Lucky, yes. Probably altruistic, I suppose. Not everyone thinks of old bikes as a cash machine. Sorry, I respect your business sense but I've also had a lot of fun since I bought a Rollfast middleweight from the late 50s for $50 on ebay in 2008 and named her TEMPEST.
"I respect your business sense but I've also had a lot of fun since I bought a Rollfast middleweight from the late 50s for $50 on ebay in 2008 and named her TEMPEST."

Well said my friend, well said.

kostnerave

On Training Wheels
Oct 29, 2016
Austin, Tx.
This thread is very exciting! It shows us that there are still very rare and collectible bicycles being found " in the wild". The thing I don't understand is why some members are choosing to lash out at the buyer. In my opinion, it is the sellers' responsibility to research whatever they are selling. In this day and age there are plenty of options available to find information about an antique or collectible object. The owner felt the bike had some intrinsic value as he priced it over 500.00. That is alot of money to me. All of this aside, everyone has a moral code that they live by and a set of circumstances that can temper that code. For example, a buyer that stumbles on a great deal could be struggling with financial proplems, buried with medical bills, trying to get a kid in college, etc. The seller could be in the same boat. It's up to the induvidual parties involved to consummate a fair transaction. I probably would have bought this bike, detailed it, flipped it then I would have gone back to the seller, with some cash, and evened things out, but that is the code I live by.

DaGasMan

Look Ma, No Hands!
Apr 16, 2019
Long Island
I have, on many occasions, sold items that were certainly of greater value to the amazement and bewilderment of the buyers. It's stuff. And no, I'm not wealthy in a monetary sense. I usually say, "Give it a happy home." I had asked my father once why he accepted what I thought was such a low offer on a valuable collectible. My father replied, "When I'm gone, take a look in the box. That's what I'm taking with me. Remember Pete, it's only stuff. We get it. Clean it. Identify it. Take care of it. Find people that like the same stuff and show them our stuff. Sooner or later eventually it always winds up somewhere else. Take a look at the pharaoh's tomb. He tried but couldn't take his stuff. It's only stuff."
The seller of the bike didn't care and the buyer lucked out for once. But don't get me wrong, I'm still jelly!

charnleybob

I live for the CABE
May 30, 2009
Omaha, United States
These are the stories I like to tell my kids about.
If you are a collector, it's not that hard to write down what something is, what you paid for it, what is a reasonable price for it.

slick

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Apr 1, 2010
Modesto,Ca.
Sure the seller could have researched the bike, but odds are, he had no clue what the parts on the bike are called, such as pogo seat, crossbar speedometer, etc, etc... so regardless of research, it would have given him a decent price for the bike but... not on the parts. Also, most sellers on here, delete their prices instantly after the item has sold and I'm not sure why? So there is another factor for the equation. And it's also not like a ton of rangers pop up on Ebay to research the completed listings. So......

This ad goes away when you register for an account!