When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Score of the century

-
I would like to see it go to auction also. I think it would bring what it is worth maybe a little more. Hopefully it doesn't hang around too long and become tainted as some things do.

we are all waiting for the new owner reveal... he's been offering it around for stupid money...(mega greed)
....love to see this go to auction

I’m on this side of the US .. I wish I would have seen that ebay ad! Bikes pop up here on the east coast so much more the back in
Oregon. That ranger is very sweet , congratulations to the new owner!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man Chris that is the baddest ass story I have heard this year! I hope the owner got the bike of their dreams n at that price too. Those deals don’t happen often but they do happen! The once in a longtime or life time deal is an awesome story.

I find it interesting how people get all wound up over a silly Schwinn with a funny seat..there are thousands and thousands of them( I have a propensity for overstatement) and they ride like fat pigs(not an overstatement). At least this bike is a cool original looking one and not lipsticked-out, perfectly primped and chromed, sitting in someone's "bicycle room"..C'mon man!:innocent: Kidding aside, to each his own..

Last edited:
I don't think that would ever happen even on hallowed ground. Does a seller give an ignorant buyer a rebate after he rips them off?
I did that once for a pedal car. Stopped at a Tag Sale of mostly junk but I spotted a pedal car. She had it priced at $25.00 and when I showed interest she imeadeatly said she could do better on the price. This lady was at single Mom who was just trying to eek or a living. I told her the real value she should expect and told her to list on ebay or Craigs list. She took it off the lawn and was very grateful with the information.

On the flip side, I saw another pedal car that was a reproduction priced as an OG! They actually thanked me for the information and re-priced the car..

It's ebay, not Christie's Auction. If that's what the seller wanted, they got it. When they put it on ebay they were to expect whatever outcome they got, it's a CONTRACT.

Now it probably doesn't matter where it goes after that, you own it, you have that right. I can only hope that it will be ridden and appreciated, but again, I have no say.

So it doesn't matter now, it was a FAIR transaction and I would gather the sale was completed, no?

It sounds like the seller wanted Grandpa's bike to be of use to somebody and it wasn't to them. Lucky, yes. Probably altruistic, I suppose. Not everyone thinks of old bikes as a cash machine. Sorry, I respect your business sense but I've also had a lot of fun since I bought a Rollfast middleweight from the late 50s for $50 on ebay in 2008 and named her TEMPEST.
"I respect your business sense but I've also had a lot of fun since I bought a Rollfast middleweight from the late 50s for $50 on ebay in 2008 and named her TEMPEST."

Well said my friend, well said.

This thread is very exciting! It shows us that there are still very rare and collectible bicycles being found " in the wild". The thing I don't understand is why some members are choosing to lash out at the buyer. In my opinion, it is the sellers' responsibility to research whatever they are selling. In this day and age there are plenty of options available to find information about an antique or collectible object. The owner felt the bike had some intrinsic value as he priced it over 500.00. That is alot of money to me. All of this aside, everyone has a moral code that they live by and a set of circumstances that can temper that code. For example, a buyer that stumbles on a great deal could be struggling with financial proplems, buried with medical bills, trying to get a kid in college, etc. The seller could be in the same boat. It's up to the induvidual parties involved to consummate a fair transaction. I probably would have bought this bike, detailed it, flipped it then I would have gone back to the seller, with some cash, and evened things out, but that is the code I live by.

I have, on many occasions, sold items that were certainly of greater value to the amazement and bewilderment of the buyers. It's stuff. And no, I'm not wealthy in a monetary sense. I usually say, "Give it a happy home." I had asked my father once why he accepted what I thought was such a low offer on a valuable collectible. My father replied, "When I'm gone, take a look in the box. That's what I'm taking with me. Remember Pete, it's only stuff. We get it. Clean it. Identify it. Take care of it. Find people that like the same stuff and show them our stuff. Sooner or later eventually it always winds up somewhere else. Take a look at the pharaoh's tomb. He tried but couldn't take his stuff. It's only stuff."
The seller of the bike didn't care and the buyer lucked out for once. But don't get me wrong, I'm still jelly!

These are the stories I like to tell my kids about.
If you are a collector, it's not that hard to write down what something is, what you paid for it, what is a reasonable price for it.

Sure the seller could have researched the bike, but odds are, he had no clue what the parts on the bike are called, such as pogo seat, crossbar speedometer, etc, etc... so regardless of research, it would have given him a decent price for the bike but... not on the parts. Also, most sellers on here, delete their prices instantly after the item has sold and I'm not sure why? So there is another factor for the equation. And it's also not like a ton of rangers pop up on Ebay to research the completed listings. So......

Back