When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scored this super nice 1963 Varsity Sport in nice original radiant red.

-
Wow! That's in spectacular condition. Even the headbadge still has the red on it.
One of these was the first 10 speed bike that I ever saw, so has a nostalgic appeal for me.
What's the saddle on this one? I've never quite figured out what's correct for the '63 model. I'm leaning towards an Ideale #41, but don't really know.
Hi Eric… I just picked up a nice 63 Varsity today (not quite as nice as the one in original post pictures, but pretty good). It was in the same family since originally purchased, and hanging in a basement for a very long time (from the ropes still on the bike in the pic below). I have no reason to doubt it’s fully originally, as it’s outfitted with all the expected components and trim for a 63. It even has the original white cloth handlebar tape. This one has the Ideale 41 saddle, like the one from your pictures. Per our past discussions, saddles and some other parts were swapped in and out per supply and demand. Some might have received the Lycett, some got the Ideale. I purchased a 1960 Varsity a few months back, and that was supposed to have an Ideale 41, but it has a Wittkop. Several documented cases out there of 1960 models having Wittkop’s. Supply and demand for any given week or month.
Regards,
Bill

5FE9CDE5-7B67-4E24-B911-A1C5FAA198C2.jpeg

Nice score Bill!
I agree that it's the same case with the Ideale 41/Wittkop saddles on the '60 Varsities.
I've seen enough with each that I'm convinced that Schwinn used them both.

Is this the Wittkop saddle model that is found on some 1960 Varsities? This one is on my 1961 Varsity.
View attachment 1847485

View attachment 1847486

View attachment 1847487

View attachment 1847488
Yep, that's the one! If you go to the following Cabe link/post, you will see my 1960 Varsity with the Wittkop.
At first, I thought it was non-original, as I noted in the post. But after further research and conversations, Eric and I have concluded that it's an "original" Schwinn component and was used by the factory as a replacement to the Ideale since the factory ran out of Ideale stock for that given day/week/month.
(mine also has the spring suspension below the saddle, like yours)

Back