When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scrap Metal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

robertc

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I was at church Sunday morning and after the service several of the members were standing outside talking. I saw Dave standing by himself so I went over and started a conversation which turned into old bicycles. Knowing Dave lived with his wife on her family’s farm, I asked if there were any old bikes lying around. Dave looked at me and said “there were three” but I took them to the metal recycling dealer a few months ago. Then without missing a beat he described one as a Schwinn with a tank in good enough condition to be fixed up to ride. I have no idea to the age or model but I felt sick at that moment. Luckily for the old Schwinn, a man was there at the recycler when he arrived asked to buy it. Dave gave it to him saving another old bike from the melting pot. I also saw a guy at the flea market the other day that had a pre-war DP Harris “Black Beauty” that he wanted $60 for it. I was holding out for a little less but when I went back and he had sold it. He told me that he got it from a recycling dealer being scrapped. Metal is at an all time high and people are cleaning out every building they have. How wonder how many Antique/Vintage/old bikes are being scraped everyday?

A lot of bicycles met there doom in the scrap metal drives of the wars, I can only imagine how many are headed that way now.

Man, here in North Carolina its not safe to leave anything metal laying around for long must less bicycles. I met trucks and trailers everyday heading toward the scrap yards. I try to get a quick look as they pass but its a failed attemp to see what is piled up in there.

Agree with everything above, and it generally makes me sick. Does anyone know what an old bike can net you at the scrap dealer??? Here's the answer, about $4, at the very MOST. FOUR lousy dollars, tops, unbelievable.
Now I took 90lbs of clean aluminum this past weekend and got $60 for it, not bad, but to send some of these old amazing bikes to the scrapper for $4, that's just so sad.

There was a guy over on Ratrod week before last the happened to be at the right scrap yard at the right time and got that complete, original down to the tires JC Higgins Header Bike (the kind with the actual cast headers) for nothing from a guy ready to throw it into the furnace. Just incredible.

I see the same thing up my way, the old bikes are tossed in with the dead fridges, stoves and engine blocks, all nameless crap thats worth nothing to anybody, headed for the crusher. In the evenings in my free time I cruise the back lanes on my bike trying to beat the scrap guy to the punch, I can't be everywhere at once though and I'd say 7 out of 10 times I miss out. Its sad stuff for sure.

Why don't they go and toss the crap Chinese junk bicycles that are for sale at every bike shop in America now into the scrap heap? Most will end up there in 3-5 years anyway.

I turned in a 1940 CWC girls frame and a '73 Huffy Escape stripped clean to the scrap guy down the street. Everyday, I watch his old Dodge truck with eyes like a hawk, just waiting for something precious to end up in the pile. I rescued an old Monark a couple weeks ago which is what I tradded the frames and $25 for. Honestly, I hate junking Classics, even if they are stripped bare frame, but I was giving that Hawthorne frame away practically, long sold the parts, and the frame had been for sale for 2 or 3 months. The '73? I know for a fact no body wants that frame set and I'm not waiting 50 years for it gain any value. So trading two stripped hulks and a small pile of other scrap plus $25 for a beautiful old bike in running condition, sounds like a good deal to me.

I hate junking old things becuase I know that once they're gone, they're gone. Hell, when I was younger and even dumber than I am now, I sent a Spaceliner to the crusher. I was just into old bikes, had no clue what I had, didn't know what "502" meant, didn't recognize the dropouts, the chrome gaurd or even the jewel pedals. I still wonder why I did that. On the bright side, it had no tank, rack, and I give away the springer for $5-which is almost as bad. Whats more sickening is the amount of Classics CARS that bite the dust DAILY! Ever see an old beat-up Classic on a trailer and wonder where it is going? The 1958 Edsel I saw being towed away on the school bus 4 yrs ago, the '75 Cordoba that disappeared...or the '66 Cadillac on 202-where? I may have bicycles, but I honestly doubt there will be any vintage cars left in restoreable condition by the time I become of age and have the ca$h.

Well you know we cant collect or save everything. My Dad told me during WW ll he worked in Detroit and used to buy model a Fords for $25. that needed work. He repaired them, drove them for a while and would sell one for $35. Big money back then. He said Ford Motor Co. had a garage where they would sell used parts that were in protypes and test vehicles. Valves for 25 cents and other bargains. Just imagine if you had the foresight and money to buy up all that stuff. I used to work with a guy that said his Dad had a cash register shop. During WW ll he would take truck loads of Brass NCR cash registers to the scrap dealer. When I was young in the 50's we used to shoot BB's at metal dome top beer cans at the dump. I recently paid $20. for one in very rusty condition. We also shot at lead soldiers and plastic model cars and I cant imagine how many 1950's comic books and baseball cards we threw out.

My dad's blood pressure goes through the roof when he tells the story about how my grandfather threw away 12 Complete sets of Mars Attacks cards... and yelled at my dad when he was a kid to stop wasting his money!...
I have a few scrap yards that I go to frequently but I NEVER see any old bikes... lots of junk lawnmowers and grills!! I scrap metal all the time. I've been lucky to find a few older bikes on garbage day.
One day while walking home when I was younger, I found a Schwinn American in the garbage... I asked the old guy on the porch if I could have it, he said yes... I rode it home! with a flat front tire! It turns out to be a '64... I still have it today!

Back