When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Searching out the soul behind the badge.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thank you for the kind remarks.
One correction that was pointed out, thanks, to the Cabe's Barracuda, was the item in her left hand is not a hatchet, but a carpenters square of the builder.
That makes much more sense, since she is the symbol of rising up to rebuild the city.

Even though the information was right in front of us, it was only available if you knew where to look.
Kim and I were pretty excited when the pieces of the puzzle started to fall in place.
I have always been intrigued by the symbolism of the bicycle headbadge.
It seems that each manufacturers badge had a story to tell.
Some were easily deciphered, and some, only the manufacturer knew.
Patric, your articles,The Souls Searchers, in Classic Bicycle News, was a great inspiration for this thread, hence the title that I chose.
Shawn, your 1898 Model 22 The World Roadster, gives me hope, that maybe someday, a complete original 1898 model 31 Special "Chicago" Roadster will be found with its headbadge still intact. That would be amazing!
As unlikely as this seems, your magnificent bicycle shows, that it is a distinct possibility.

So, to all here at the Cabe, if you feel like the headbadge on your bicycle has a story to tell, post the results of your search for the soul behind the badge.

Last edited:
Statue of The Republic. Jackson Park, Chicago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_The_Republic

IMG_0511.jpg

Here's the headbadge that started this quest and here is the original drawing by Charles Holloway entered for the competition to find a mascot for the Chicago/Columbian Exposition in 1893.
I think you can see where the imagery for the badge came from.
Good research mystery solved.
Saw this image on 1893 Columbian expo spoon:

Screenshot_20230118_193429_eBay.jpg

Back