When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sears 20" banana seat bikes - year ID?

-

Rambler

I live for the CABE
Trying to identify the year of these two bicycles. They are both Sears. My best guess is 1968 based on seat, chain guard, little chrome frame tips near head set, etc. However after looking through many Sears catalogs I cannot find an exact match.

What are your thoughts as to year?

Sears bikes.jpg

I can only offer a little info. I think you're pretty close on the year. They were made by Huffy for Sears. Can't quite make out what it says on the girl's chainguard....

I can only offer a little info. I think you're pretty close on the year. They were made by Huffy for Sears. Can't quite make out what it says on the girl's chainguard....

Thanks Mr. Monkeyarms,
That is actually a big help. I searched Huffy bikes and found the "1968 Huffy Camaro" used the same shape/style chainguard which helps confirm 1968 is likely the correct year.
Tyson
1968 Huffy Camaro.jpg

If you search 'Huffy Muscle Bike', that should help narrow it down a bit.;) Try the search engine here on the Cabe in the section covering Muscle Bikes. Huffy made some crazy stuff back then......

They are both Sears bikes. You can tell by the headbadge and seat post decal. Both are pre 1972 when they started using the BMA sticker on the seat post. Made by Huffy badged by Sears.

They are both Sears bikes. You can tell by the headbadge and seat post decal. Both are pre 1972 when they started using the BMA sticker on the seat post. Made by Huffy badged by Sears.

Thanks Jaxon,
The lack of BMA sticker is another good clue. I appreciate you helping narrow the range of years.
Tyson

Best I can do for a pic of the chainguard but it has had the saddle and brace changed out....the seats like yours can be seen on any number of Spyder variants in the late 60's.

1571395076242.png

Here is a pair of Spyders getting a workout...love the safety flag...

1571394575643.png

@Rambler, that is a great photo...the kids are on a stage with a jukebox, an ecstatic cop, the boy is on the safety patrol, and the girl has awesome pants. Brother and sister? All the other kids are rushing the stage...did they win the bikes? Also she has a very knowing smile.

Back