When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sears muscle bike worth restoring?

-

Cpshockl

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I’d like to get my son a vintage bike for his birthday in July and have it restored. This Sears bike is listed near me for $350 and I’m in love with it.

In your opinion, is this bike worth $350 plus what it would take to restore at a local shop? Not trying to make money, just don’t want to have $1000 into a bike that’s worth $300 when I’m done. It looks a little rusty but seems to have most of the parts.

1C4A07FD-0269-425D-8300-771E6DAF6592.jpeg

EEEC6286-433A-4050-80EF-408F03FC1ADF.jpeg

0B8A4FAD-BB32-4401-87AC-57C422107FA1.jpeg

3DB25179-EE2E-464F-B733-8D9F59234A6F.jpeg

To truly restore it you will be upside down quick. A true restoration is probably a couple grand or more done right. Hard to tell from your pics but it may do well with a good (careful) cleaning and service and have it going for a couple hundred or less.

Maybe a nice cleaning .Restore is bringing it back to factory new. Clean,polish,new tires,tubes,repack all bearings ,new cables,etc.will make it look and ride nicely.

To truly restore it you will be upside down quick. A true restoration is probably a couple grand or more done right. Hard to tell from your pics but it may do well with a good (careful) cleaning and service and have it going for a couple hundred or less.
Ok great - that’s what I’m looking to do, just used the wrong terms. It does not have to be mint, just ride and be the coolest kid in the neighborhood. Our family digs the worn in look for pretty much everything in our house so this will fit in perfectly.

At 350 you have a great start....just needs a cleanup. buy it....That is a clean complete little bike for your kid....Try doing it yourself.

At 350 you have a great start....just needs a cleanup. buy it....That is a clean complete little bike for your kid....Try doing it yourself.
Cool …thanks for the info. I’d love too and might do a few things. I’m mainly a woodworker and in the middle of a complete 1896 house restoration. And I still have a completely disassembled, paint stripped “space bike” in my attic that I started in the pandemic. The damn children grow up so fast I figure paying a local business would be worth it to get my buddy riding around ASAP. He’s going to be 7 and he loves old toys so much I know he’s going to think it’s the coolest thing ever that it shifts like a car.

Looks like an old Sears Spyder 5speed.

In addition to cleaning her up, be sure and lube the shifter cable. Those white stick shift handles broke off pretty easily when the cables got rusty inside.

Asked how I know.

Glad your kid likes the old muscle bikes.
The kids around my hood don’t seem to even notice my Krate.

I’d like to get my son a vintage bike for his birthday in July and have it restored. This Sears bike is listed near me for $350 and I’m in love with it.

In your opinion, is this bike worth $350 plus what it would take to restore at a local shop? Not trying to make money, just don’t want to have $1000 into a bike that’s worth $300 when I’m done. It looks a little rusty but seems to have most of the parts.

View attachment 1804373

View attachment 1804374

View attachment 1804375

View attachment 1804376
No, don't buy this bike ......not a good candidate for your project ...

Back