When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sears Space liner info please

-
So I cleaned the paint off the bars and stem. Both are shot as far as being nice.

I'm wondering since this is a base model that has been re-painted (I can see over spray and paint is flaking in spots) is this thing worth put much money in. I can see at least $200 right off the bat. And I don't know what I'm doing,,,lol. Should I proceed.

It will need:

Seat
Tires/tubes
Stem
Bars/grips

Speaking of tires. I has 26'' x 2.125 on there now. According to the pic of the ad above it say 1.75. What SHOULD be on there. If these are over size is there an advantage to that. Like a smoother ride or something.

Can you guys recommend a place to get some tires and what size and type.

The Murray Space bikes" are all middleweight bikes. 26 x 1.75 is the correct size. The photo of the catalog page in post #4 'will confirm that. Your bike is complete. It might be worth tuning up, and putting a set of correct sized tires on it just to ride it and see what you think of it. Then you can proceed with the rest of the items you think are necessary or if you decide to get rid of it, you can sell it as a rider with new tires and a tune up, not an old bike pulled from the attic. The Murray made middleweights are good riders.

The balloon tires may be better, with the only problem being the fender clearance.
(Some of the fender fasteners were inexpensive sheet metal screws).
I have 2.125” balloon tires on my Murray built middleweight space bike, and decided to go without replacement fenders.
Your bike looks good with the original fenders and perhaps non-original tire size - as is.

I have two middleweights, a Columbia Thunderbolt and a Hiawatha, both of which have balloon tires AND fenders on them. Close but no rub. The tires sure fill out the fenders nicely. Takes some fine tuning with the fender braces and your wheels need to be "true."

Quick Cal - I think you should give up on this bike completely, and sell it to me. (insert grinning emoji here)

Honestly ,I dont think it is worth putting at least $200 or more into a $175 bike.

I looked in my catalog page book again and found another 4630. It had a post-it note on the page. I thought when I saw the number that it looked familiar. It's just like the one in my garage. I've been busy on other bikes and it's been out of sight - out of mind. As my grandmother used to say in her German accented English, "Too soon old, too late smart." Anyway, now that I've put the pieces of my brain back together, here are a couple of pictures that I took of it before putting it in storage. Because it was built before 1964, mine is a JC Higgins Flightliner, not a Spaceliner like yours. That catalog #4630 must have had more than a few editions.View attachment 1228783

View attachment 1228780

View attachment 1228784
From your 1st pic Your bike is chrome under the paint. Looks like chrome showing through on the drop out above the #s. I stripped this girl's frame of a poor paint job to find some pretty rusty chrome plating pretty much every where

Before

How I Knew mine was hidden chrome

After stripping it pretty much off all paint. It's rougher than seen in the pic but I am satin clear coating it as a rideable survivor for someone else if I can pass it on

Last edited:
Back