Sears spaceliner?

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Notagamerguy

Finally riding a big boys bike
Aug 14, 2019
Pennsylvania
i picked this bike up today. Im a schwinn guy and i very little about this bike if anyone has any information about this let me know

20200501_133052.jpg

20200501_133057.jpg

20200501_133100.jpg

20200501_133133.jpg

20200501_133145.jpg

20200501_133152.jpg

Reactions: SteveF

Oilit

I live for the CABE
Dec 30, 2015
Concord NC
Does it have the two-speed automatic rear hub? It looks like it but I can't tell for sure. And look at that headlight!

Notagamerguy

Aug 14, 2019
Pennsylvania
Does it have the two-speed automatic rear hub? It looks like it but I can't tell for sure. And look at that headlight!
Yeah it has the red bendix 2 speed rear hub. I cant wait to put some tubes in this and see if it works

Reactions: Oilit

Roger Henning

Dec 2, 2018
Sharon Wisconsin
For what it is worth it was a Murray built bike sold by Sears. 502 is the Sears vendor number for Murray. Roger

AndyA

Nov 24, 2017
bergen county
Notagamerguy:
Nice! I'm jealous of the saddle. I have the same saddle from my 1960 Flightliner, but it all fell apart. It looks like the chrome evaporated from your tail light. I don't how that happens, but it often occurs with vacuum-metallized plastic. Easily spiffed up by disassembling, fine wet sanding (say 400 grit), cleaning with denatured alcohol, and painting with rattle-can chrome paint. Pictures below are before and after shots of similar tail light on a Murray-built Western Flyer. On this bike, I also painted the front of the tank (headlight), the switch housing on the tank, and the chain wheel cap, all plastic.
Have fun!

Notagamerguy

Aug 14, 2019
Pennsylvania
Notagamerguy:
Nice! I'm jealous of the saddle. I have the same saddle from my 1960 Flightliner, but it all fell apart. It looks like the chrome evaporated from your tail light. I don't how that happens, but it often occurs with vacuum-metallized plastic. Easily spiffed up by disassembling, fine wet sanding (say 400 grit), cleaning with denatured alcohol, and painting with rattle-can chrome paint. Pictures below are before and after shots of similar tail light on a Murray-built Western Flyer. On this bike, I also painted the front of the tank (headlight), the switch housing on the tank, and the chain wheel cap, all plastic.
Have fun!

Oh i am having fun with this one. Im currently soaking the rims in oxalic acid im reasembing/ fabricating the front of the tank and tires are on the way. Schwinn has a very similar s refector and i always paint them silver. I guess plastic and chrome dont mix

20200502_125729.jpg

20200502_150224.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Oilit
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Rivnut

I live for the CABE
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
Your serial number has a 2 as a stamp over. That 2 identifies the bike as a 2 speed. Originally that was not scheduled for this frame. Nice find. I'm betting all of the "Space bike" owners, like me, are envious. (Can't be jealous. Envy involves two people, you and the guy who wants what you have - a new convertible. Jealousy involves three people. The guy who has the new convertible you envy takes your squeeze for a ride. You're afraid that he may take something from you. Jealousy usually involves matters of the heart - love. )

Reactions: sarmisluters

Notagamerguy

Aug 14, 2019
Pennsylvania
Your serial number has a 2 as a stamp over. That 2 identifies the bike as a 2 speed. Originally that was not scheduled for this frame. Nice find. I'm betting all of the "Space bike" owners, like me, are envious. (Can't be jealous. Envy involves two people, you and the guy who wants what you have - a new convertible. Jealousy involves three people. The guy who has the new convertible you envy takes your squeeze for a ride. You're afraid that he may take something from you. Jealousy usually involves matters of the heart - love. )
Good diction there my friend. thank you for both pieces of information there both fascinating.

Sven

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Dec 24, 2017
Mechanicsville, MD, United States
I'm a Schwinn guy myself.
You did very well getting that Spaceliner. It appears 109% complete. Check out the prices in eBay..Holy Mackerel.
Have fun with it.

Oilit

I live for the CABE
Dec 30, 2015
Concord NC
I had to do some looking to see what you mean, but you're talking about the "469210" part, correct? The "2" looks like it was stamped over a "0".

This ad goes away when you register for an account!