When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sears spaceliner?

-

Notagamerguy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
i picked this bike up today. Im a schwinn guy and i very little about this bike if anyone has any information about this let me know

20200501_133052.jpg

20200501_133057.jpg

20200501_133100.jpg

20200501_133133.jpg

20200501_133145.jpg

20200501_133152.jpg

Does it have the two-speed automatic rear hub? It looks like it but I can't tell for sure. And look at that headlight!

Does it have the two-speed automatic rear hub? It looks like it but I can't tell for sure. And look at that headlight!
Yeah it has the red bendix 2 speed rear hub. I cant wait to put some tubes in this and see if it works

For what it is worth it was a Murray built bike sold by Sears. 502 is the Sears vendor number for Murray. Roger

Notagamerguy:
Nice! I'm jealous of the saddle. I have the same saddle from my 1960 Flightliner, but it all fell apart. It looks like the chrome evaporated from your tail light. I don't how that happens, but it often occurs with vacuum-metallized plastic. Easily spiffed up by disassembling, fine wet sanding (say 400 grit), cleaning with denatured alcohol, and painting with rattle-can chrome paint. Pictures below are before and after shots of similar tail light on a Murray-built Western Flyer. On this bike, I also painted the front of the tank (headlight), the switch housing on the tank, and the chain wheel cap, all plastic.
Have fun!

Notagamerguy:
Nice! I'm jealous of the saddle. I have the same saddle from my 1960 Flightliner, but it all fell apart. It looks like the chrome evaporated from your tail light. I don't how that happens, but it often occurs with vacuum-metallized plastic. Easily spiffed up by disassembling, fine wet sanding (say 400 grit), cleaning with denatured alcohol, and painting with rattle-can chrome paint. Pictures below are before and after shots of similar tail light on a Murray-built Western Flyer. On this bike, I also painted the front of the tank (headlight), the switch housing on the tank, and the chain wheel cap, all plastic.
Have fun!
View attachment 1185849

View attachment 1185850
Oh i am having fun with this one. Im currently soaking the rims in oxalic acid im reasembing/ fabricating the front of the tank and tires are on the way. Schwinn has a very similar s refector and i always paint them silver. I guess plastic and chrome dont mix

20200502_125729.jpg

20200502_150224.jpg

Back