When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sears spyder

-

Grumbler

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked this bike up this evening as part of a package deal for $20.00. As far as I know, it is a Sears Spyder. It’s in rough shape! My question is, can anyone help me decode this 15 digit serial number? 502477220130497
I am just curious about the production year. In the package was also a 75 Schwinn Varsity in extremely good shape and a Sears Cruiser. Thanks in advance for any helpful information I can get.

C8FC91C0-673A-4B17-813F-CA88A28AB29B.jpeg

78FBA4DC-6EE7-424C-8E87-A7D23D3470CE.jpeg

Reactions: JLF
Sears usually had a 3 digit code on their products that tells who made it. I think 502 was Murray (but I'm not sure). Also, the rear dropouts and the chainring absolutely scream Murray. That's all I've got.

Yes Murray made bikes for sears , I think I'm with bloo I'm pretty sure 502 is murray. As far year that I dont have a clue. Hopefully someone chimes in who does. Love my 20 inch muscle bikes. Good luck

Yes Murray made bikes for sears , I think I'm with bloo I'm pretty sure 502 is murray. As far year that I dont have a clue. Hopefully someone chimes in who does. Love my 20 inch muscle bikes. Good luck
Thank you! I just stumbled across this one and couldn’t pass it up.

I picked this bike up this evening as part of a package deal for $20.00. As far as I know, it is a Sears Spyder. It’s in rough shape! My question is, can anyone help me decode this 15 digit serial number? 502477220130497
I am just curious about the production year. In the package was also a 75 Schwinn Varsity in extremely good shape and a Sears Cruiser. Thanks in advance for any helpful information I can get.

View attachment 1313742

View attachment 1313743

Reactions: JLF
The "Dragster III" in the ad has a star-shaped chainwheel. On the "Miss America III" it is harder to tell, but it probably does too. That chainwheel is stereotypical for Huffy in the 70s, and these two are almost certainly Huffy-built for Sears. Their origins are unrelated to the bike you are trying to research.

Back