When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat clamp set screw-Rambler? 1899

-

Rusty McNickel

I live for the CABE
Looking for one seat clamp set screw. This came off a Ladies 1899 Rambler although it possibly could be found elsewhere. The best I can determine it is 5/16" nominal diameter and 22 TPI but can't swear it's 5/16-22 BSF if you know what I mean. It came off a Rambler so who the hell knows for sure? The hex head is 5/16" and thread length is appx 5/8"

20190124_160654.jpg

20181218_212501.jpg

20181218_212422.jpg

Last edited:
the 1890s were a wacky period. MAYBE it is a British Standard Cycle thread, but that did not use 22TPI. Check it over with every thread pitch gauge you can borrow. Maybe it is just worn, or maybe it is some Rambler specific thread. Slap a hand lens on the bold to see what the thread profile looks like. As a last resort, or to just get the bike on the road there are always helicoils or you could re-tap.

the 1890s were a wacky period. MAYBE it is a British Standard Cycle thread, but that did not use 22TPI. Check it over with every thread pitch gauge you can borrow. Maybe it is just worn, or maybe it is some Rambler specific thread. Slap a hand lens on the bold to see what the thread profile looks like. As a last resort, or to just get the bike on the road there are always helicoils or you could re-tap.

Ramblers in particular I'm finding seem to have a prioritized thread. Best I can determine is all their threads are an oversized British standard but can't swear to it. I have gauges and it seems to match up to 22 tpi... I think.

Sure would hate to alter it but the thought has occurred to me.

Thanks for your input.

True enough... Maybe try to find a retired Machinist/Tool and Die Maker who knows how to measure oddball threads and identify them. If you have a railroad museum or an historic ship museum near you, that's where you can find them. Try posting at
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/
You need to find someone who knows how to use thread wires to pin this bolt down

True enough... Maybe try to find a retired Machinist/Tool and Die Maker who knows how to measure oddball threads and identify them. If you have a railroad museum or an historic ship museum near you, that's where you can find them. Try posting at
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/
You need to find someone who knows how to use thread wires to pin this bolt down

I'm not a machinist, but even if the threads are identified correctly a die must be available to cut the threads, no? Can they be cut any other way?

I'm certain the threads are nothing currently in use and I assume the likelihood of finding a die, whatever GJ used is impossible.

That's an interesting website. Thanks for the tip.

Back