When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat pin stuck in an ALAN frame... suggestions?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It seems the likely culprit was dialectric , galvanic, corrosion. I know, it's aluminum on aluminum--but the other metal is sodium. When these types of frames came out, the shop I worked at had a number come back in short order with the stems hopelessly stuck. (we sold Vitus screwed and glued frames). This happened more often if people used a trainer in the winter because you create no wind (forward motion) and all the head sweat drips right on the headset. How the seat post? sweaty ass? maybe but the seat is sort of an umbrella. I think it might have been road salt (I grew up with it) and if you have ever gone winter training or spring riding and come home with a skunk stripe up your back, then you know that seat post is collecting the same sh--.

It seems the likely culprit was dialectric , galvanic, corrosion. I know, it's aluminum on aluminum--but the other metal is sodium. When these types of frames came out, the shop I worked at had a number come back in short order with the stems hopelessly stuck. (we sold Vitus screwed and glued frames). This happened more often if people used a trainer in the winter because you create no wind (forward motion) and all the head sweat drips right on the headset. How the seat post? sweaty ass? maybe but the seat is sort of an umbrella. I think it might have been road salt (I grew up with it) and if you have ever gone winter training or spring riding and come home with a skunk stripe up your back, then you know that seat post is collecting the same sh--.
Hm. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.

Back