When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat tube issue seat clamp questi

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jimmy V

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello. I bought a Roadmaster from a friend who unfortunately hacked off the seat tube to further lower the seat. When he reattached it he didn’t take a few extra minutes to properly align it. My plan is to slice it off and realign it and hopefully a cleaner weld.
Is the seat clamp on these separate from the seat post? I can’t budge on this bike. I included a photo of another Roadmaster I have with the same style clamp. I can’t move that one either. Thanks for any thoughts or help. Other than that it’s a pretty nice bike. 40-41?

5A811027-8EDD-4692-8541-0F0D933C67F0.jpeg

AF5C851C-93CE-4203-87A8-6607BB19F448.jpeg

560A2463-0FA8-40BE-95AF-B6E2F9708124.jpeg

Edit to my above post..I meant to ask if the seat clamp is separate from the seat tube, not the seat post. On the subject bike it may just be welded onto the seat tube. But on the blue bike with the same clamp it seems fused onto the seat tube. Should it come off or did they make them as one piece? I tried a little prying with a pry bar but it won't move.. Thanks

The fusion was by means of brazing or welding and was not meant to ever come apart.

An option might have been to adopt one of those seat posts (not seat tube masts) with the wedge type binding mechanism; (looks similar to a steering stem).

And one might then explain that it could of been a prototype one-year-only feature!

Last edited:
I know you like that bike, personally I don't think it's worth the time and effort to get it straightened out ....you can find another frame and do the same thing and have it all nicely done without welding or anything

Time to find a new friend! Is he a midget (is that PC?) small person? I agree the frame is ruined but you could whack it off and re-weld it. V/r Shawn
Shawn,
He likes to be low and slow...nearly sitting on the back fender. It's a shame that he hacked up what is otherwise a pretty decent bike. I got it cheap and thought I'd try and repair it. I have a prewar ladies donor frame if I need with the seat clamp. And I know some excellent welders. Nate @Krakatoa has PM'd me with some helpful advice. I'm up to trying to repair it. Nothing to loose. Thanks to all above for the replies and advice. If it doesn't work I'll seek out another frame.

Jim.

Back