When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Second Pattern BSA Paratrooper Bicycle Register

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mercian

I live for the CABE
Hi All,

To go alongside the register I'm compiling of First Pattern BSA Paratrooper bikes here:

I am compiling a list of Second type BSA's in existance, to try to expand the knowledge base on them.

Other than the Serial Number list compiled by Captain Stevens, which he admits is years out of date, there is almost no detailed information out there.

BSA Airborne Bicycle Survivors – www.captainstevens.com

I intend for this to be a listing of Second Pattern BSA's, (single saddle stem tubes).

If you'd like to contribute, please post at least a photo of the bike, the Serial Number, , web link and location (if possible), and any other details you may have. There are bound to be duplications occasionally, but that's not a problem. I'll record what I can, and publish it here from time to time in the same way I do the Columbia anf Huffman G519 details.

A good summary of Second Pattern bikes, and their history by @Wing Your Heel can be found here, and several examples shown in this, and the first pattern thread are from his Online Bicycle Museum, a very useful resource, thanks:

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
R57543 of jbeer1212 in Maryland

Photo Credit: JBeer1212
1666644338814.png

Thanks Adrian, this is a great project!
Kryn Zedel
Brentwood Bay, British Columbia, Canada
Frame #R 35765 found in 2021 in Saskatchewan.
Ridden frequently. Built up with non original correct size wheels, coaster brake, quick release pedals on original crank. Longer stem with riser bars, Excelsior saddle. Frame retains some original paint.

IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1943.JPG

Last edited:
R56008 of HomageToJackVintage in New York

Photo Credits: HomageToJackVintage

1666644602733.png

1666644653266.png

1666644684559.png

1666644711043.png

1666644730225.png

1666644755528.png

1666644775211.png

1666644796498.png

1666644820900.png

1666644841809.png

I'm copying across images from sale listings such as Etsy, Ebay, Catawiki etc, since these tend to vanish after a while.

Hi @ditchpig

I was in two minds about that. Capt Stevens' list is important because it was the first attempt to do something like this, but it has stalled for many years now, and really doesn't tell us much more than most of those bikes still exist. (I know of one subsequently destroyed, I used to own it).

I'm hoping that by using the pictures and other information available on the internet today, I can build a list like the G519 listings where you can see more or less when changes occurred to the bikes.

I'm thinking of trying to list:
Serial Number
Frame type
Hinge type
Quill type
Pedal crank type
Original colour
Place and owner (or information source) at the time it was recorded.

Can you think of anything else useful? As with the G519 lists, I don't intend to keep track of who the current owner is, I'm only really interested in the bikes themselves.

So, yes, I'll probably use the bits of Capt. Stevens' list I can verify, with acknowledgement to him as the primary source. I could, of course, contact him through his site and ask permission? Perhaps that would be sensible.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
R21622 of Conner at San Diego

Note the BSA marked wingnuts. You occasionally see these, but I have no idea if they are replacements.

1666694695980.png

Back