When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking early Racycle crank info

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dperry

Look Ma, No Hands!
Refurbishing the Racycle (c.1901-3) of another CABE member inspired me to re-inspect an early Racycle that came as a rusty barn find with wrong-size 26” wheels. <http://www.bikecult.com/works/archive/10bicycles/racycle_pacemaker_02.html>

I’m seeking help identifying the model year and how to properly assemble its crank hanger. I assume it’s a Pacemaker model, not sure if it’s a Narrow Tread. I'm having trouble fitting the cranks tight, this one is a bit different than later models, so I’d like to see if there's any diagram or description of it.

The notable features include:
1) Oversize tubing 1-1/4” diameter main triangle.

2) Headclip stem with fixed-position drop handlebar.

3) Cutaway seat post clamp fixture.

4) Single binder bolt on BB shell.

5) Inner locknut (?) in right crank that retains square-head connecting rod.

6) Four bolt chainwheel fitting and larger diameter connecting rod.

7) Grease ports (?) on cranks.

8) Serial number (?) 25497.

Thanks for comments.
Comparing this one to the 1900 advert shows a few differences. This one seems before the “Improvements for 1900.” This one has 4-bolt mounted chainwheel, there’s no cone sleeve, nor magazine oiler. There is an axle sleeve on left side, but it seems stuck or not meant to be removed. Also, this has holes that look like grease or oil ports on each crank arm, so perhaps it’s not a magazine self oiler.

The 1900 advert shows the similar crank hanger design as the Racycle Racer, c.1901-03, that I recently refurbished for a fellow cabe man, the parts shown below. <https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1901-1904-racycle.192637/>

Back