Seeking info on Viking bicycle

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

DReid

On Training Wheels
Apr 23, 2020
Northfield, MA
I’d welcome info and restoration suggestions for my Dad’s prized Viking bike—ca 1935? He was ten when he got it, and he rode it all over the county, logging several thousand miles on the odometer. He loved this bike: it is complete and untouched, but the decades stored in the barn haven’t been kind to it. I’d like to clean it up, but want to keep it as close as possible to original condition. Would be grateful for any helpful advice.

tryder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 12, 2014
San Anselmo, CA
Beautiful bicycle. It does not need much. A light cleaning and thurough re-greasing, some new tires and you have a gem. That hornlight is super cool. Sure there isn't a rack lying around somewhere?

Mercian

Jul 1, 2016
France
Hi,

As confirmed above, it was built by Westfield, around 1940.

If you can give us the two sets of numbers off the bottom under the crank, than we can date it to the month for you.

There will be a long number, starting with a letter (possibly E or F, you'll need to check carefully if it's one of those, sometimes the bottom bar of the is lightly struck on the curved surface), followed by five or six numbers. Above that will be a single letter, followed by one or two numbers from 1 to 12.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Reactions: DReid and tryder
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

DReid

On Training Wheels
Apr 23, 2020
Northfield, MA
Hi,

As confirmed above, it was built by Westfield, around 1940.

If you can give us the two sets of numbers off the bottom under the crank, than we can date it to the month for you.

There will be a long number, starting with a letter (possibly E or F, you'll need to check carefully if it's one of those, sometimes the bottom bar of the is lightly struck on the curved surface), followed by five or six numbers. Above that will be a single letter, followed by one or two numbers from 1 to 12.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thanks, Adrian. Serial #, as in photo attached to earlier reply, is:
E5
C44195

Reactions: Mercian and tryder

tryder

May 12, 2014
San Anselmo, CA
I should have shot photos from the chain-guard side of the bike. Here’s a close-up....
095284D0-41EB-4A25-A8FA-77BDD8EE640C.jpeg
We know this bicycle is a complete original. I believe that this style chain guard was only offered in '38 and '39 but the codes on the bottom bracket don't lie...and they can be interpreted as...(yes I double checked)...1938.

Last edited:
Reactions: tech549 and DReid

Mercian

Jul 1, 2016
France
Hi @DReid

Thanks for that.

Thanks, Adrian. Serial #, as in photo attached to earlier reply, is:
E5
C44195
E5 says the frame was made in May 1938 (E is a code for 1938, 5 is the fifth month).

C44195 is the serial number, which says that the bike was built up not long (one or two months) after May 1938.

1938 was a slow year for Westfield, so relatively fewer bikes from 1938 survive.

Best Regards,

Adrian

DReid

On Training Wheels
Apr 23, 2020
Northfield, MA
Hi @DReid

Thanks for that.

E5 says the frame was made in May 1938 (E is a code for 1938, 5 is the fifth month).

C44195 is the serial number, which says that the bike was built up not long (one or two months) after May 1938.

1938 was a slow year for Westfield, so relatively fewer bikes from 1938 survive.

Best Regards,

Adrian
This is very helpful—and fascinating. Many thanks, Adrian. Dad would have been 12 that spring—so it’s no surprise why he loved this bike and why he kept it safely stored his whole adult life. At the time, he was washing cars at the local Packard dealership and he must have sweet-talked someone in the paint shop: Dad’s initials are carefully painted on the ‘tank’ under the top tube. (Or maybe that was an available option at the bike shop, as the paint matches exactly.)
Again, many thanks. This has been a wonderful way for me to remember and re-connect with my Dad.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!