When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking info on Viking bicycle

-
This is very helpful—and fascinating. Many thanks, Adrian. Dad would have been 12 that spring—so it’s no surprise why he loved this bike and why he kept it safely stored his whole adult life. At the time, he was washing cars at the local Packard dealership and he must have sweet-talked someone in the paint shop: Dad’s initials are carefully painted on the ‘tank’ under the top tube. (Or maybe that was an available option at the bike shop, as the paint matches exactly.)
Again, many thanks. This has been a wonderful way for me to remember and re-connect with my Dad.

@DReid

A most excellent reply, thanks for sharing this personal history. I'm happy to have aided this connection even in a small way. (-:

Stay Safe,

Adrian

I just noticed the 2 speed shifter, or is it a 3 speed?

just my opinion on a good cleaner.

1587763283776.png

It works wonders.

I just noticed the 2 speed shifter, or is it a 3 speed?

just my opinion on a good cleaner.

View attachment 1180634
It works wonders.
I appreciate the cleaner suggestion. I’m assuming this has a mild abrasive compound? I’ve heard good things about Meguiar’s for vintage cars, so I’ll get a bottle.
And I won’t know about the shifter until I get into it. Anyone know? And is it a proprietary shifter hub or a Sturmey Archer?

I appreciate the cleaner suggestion. I’m assuming this has a mild abrasive compound? I’ve heard good things about Meguiar’s for vintage cars, so I’ll get a bottle.
And I won’t know about the shifter until I get into it. Anyone know? And is it a proprietary shifter hub or a Sturmey Archer?
It could be a New Departure 2 speed, which is what the shifter looks like.

The cleaner wax did wonderful work on my brides Elgin, and keeps it looking like a new finish.

Hi,

As confirmed above, it was built by Westfield, around 1940.

If you can give us the two sets of numbers off the bottom under the crank, than we can date it to the month for you.

There will be a long number, starting with a letter (possibly E or F, you'll need to check carefully if it's one of those, sometimes the bottom bar of the is lightly struck on the curved surface), followed by five or six numbers. Above that will be a single letter, followed by one or two numbers from 1 to 12.

Best Regards,

Adrian
@Mercian .... what year would my Viking badged Westfield be....E6. C54601. Thinking ‘37-‘38 Thanks

Hi @piercer_99 , and Thanks (-: Stay safe, eh?

Hi @Intense One

@Mercian .... what year would my Viking badged Westfield be....E6. C54601. Thinking ‘37-‘38 Thanks

E6 indicates the frame was made June 1938. and again, the serial number C54601 says it was built up into a bike very shortly after.

Sometimes there can be many months between the date a frame was made, and when the bike was built up. This is because a batch of the same type of frames would be made at the same time for efficiency, then built up as the bikes were ordered. Less popular models may take longer to clear the frame stock, or, the occasional frame may have been overlooked at the back of the shelf when a new batch was stocked. In this case, it seems Vikings were going well. The following month they were building Bluebirds too.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back