When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking info on Viking bicycle

-
I’d say 40 or so. Can you provide a pic of the serial number? Great bike by the way!

If this photo isn’t clear, serial # reads:
E5
C44195
I believe it’s a ‘C’....

Hi,

As confirmed above, it was built by Westfield, around 1940.

If you can give us the two sets of numbers off the bottom under the crank, than we can date it to the month for you.

There will be a long number, starting with a letter (possibly E or F, you'll need to check carefully if it's one of those, sometimes the bottom bar of the is lightly struck on the curved surface), followed by five or six numbers. Above that will be a single letter, followed by one or two numbers from 1 to 12.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thanks, Adrian. Serial #, as in photo attached to earlier reply, is:
E5
C44195

Hi @DReid

Thanks for that.

Thanks, Adrian. Serial #, as in photo attached to earlier reply, is:
E5
C44195

E5 says the frame was made in May 1938 (E is a code for 1938, 5 is the fifth month).

C44195 is the serial number, which says that the bike was built up not long (one or two months) after May 1938.

1938 was a slow year for Westfield, so relatively fewer bikes from 1938 survive.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @DReid

Thanks for that.

E5 says the frame was made in May 1938 (E is a code for 1938, 5 is the fifth month).

C44195 is the serial number, which says that the bike was built up not long (one or two months) after May 1938.

1938 was a slow year for Westfield, so relatively fewer bikes from 1938 survive.

Best Regards,

Adrian

This is very helpful—and fascinating. Many thanks, Adrian. Dad would have been 12 that spring—so it’s no surprise why he loved this bike and why he kept it safely stored his whole adult life. At the time, he was washing cars at the local Packard dealership and he must have sweet-talked someone in the paint shop: Dad’s initials are carefully painted on the ‘tank’ under the top tube. (Or maybe that was an available option at the bike shop, as the paint matches exactly.)
Again, many thanks. This has been a wonderful way for me to remember and re-connect with my Dad.

Back