When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking information on Western Union Bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sweet

On Training Wheels
I am working on a paper about the history of Western Union bicycle messenger boys. I am trying to figure out a little bit more about the bicycles that were actually produced for Western Union. Any bike could become a Western Union delivery bike by attaching the official Western Union nameplate to it. The bikes I am interested in are the ones Western Union contracted out and put their name badges on and then re-sold to their employees. There are various iterations of these bikes. Old Bike Museum has a few examples like this one: http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1918-2/1918-western-union-messenger-delivery-bicycle/

What companies produced these over the years for Western Union?

I was informed by a person who’s father worked for western union as a kid....the company ordered a fleet of bikes for the kids or the kid can use thier own.. kids had to purchase the fleet bikes from western union if they didn’t have one on the payment plan and geen was the western union color.... used on the fleet bikes....schwinn was one of the bikes used by western union at that time.

Although my knowledge about the early machines is limited, I felt like you needed some type of reply, since you chose to come here for information.
I have seen early Western Union bikes that used Pierce bicycles for there foundation, but
I don't know that they actually had any contracts with them to build bikes specifically.
Bicycle messenger history is fascinating to me.
I delivered the newspaper on a bicycle when I was a kid, and although I didn't realize it at the time, it helped shape my work ethic that would help carry me through the rest of my life.
I'm sure, the Wester Union bicycle messengers developed some pretty good life lessons as well, during their time spent in the saddle.
Good luck with your research. I'm sorry that I couldn't provide you with the information your looking for.
Hopefully some of our more knowledgeable members here will chime in if they can add anything to the conversation.

Found some good information that many of the Western Union bikes from the 20s and 30s came from Westfield Manufacturing Company.

I’d post my schwinn western union it’s original green.. but it’s buried in my bike stash if I get the time I’d post it.

E3838519-D40F-4F22-9AAD-C0CFB5FF20CC.jpeg
BC8A440D-13ED-4208-A6ED-10AECBE651EA.jpeg
E4F0F736-EF57-441A-AD21-FE3C94A904CC.jpeg
Too much work to bring out..original paint showing the sign markings. Badge holes where the western union badge was placed upon....

So is this an example of a Schwinn that was co-opted into service for Western Union, or one that was made by Schwinn specifically for Western Union?

Back