When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking originality information on black fender (1947 - 1949) Roadmaster Luxury Liners

-

My goal has been to rebuild this bicycle without using reproductions for any of the major parts.

I recently acquired the last major part - a "NOS" Delta tail light. I say "NOS" in quotes because, while it has never been sold retail, it does have a good bit of shelf wear.

While the seller was in Utah, the parts were originally from a bike shop in Cleveland, Art's Bicycle, at 15108 Euclid Avenue, just a couple miles from me. The wholesaler, Gordon Cycle & Supply? Just a mile from my job. This was definitely exciting, and the seller was kind enough to include some ephemera.

The meter strip with the Whizzer is great. It will fit well in my stamp collection.

I'm including a slightly excessive number of photos on the off chance that someone wants to compare the original and reproduction side by side.
In all the photos below, the reproduction is on top and the original is on the bottom.

The most fundamental differences between the two are the quality of construction - the reproduction is far more solid while the original is quite flimsy and the finish - the reproduction has a matte finish while the original has a gloss plating (nickle?).

Perhaps a third of the side of the light can be seen when installed.

The lenses are very close to identical, with the only difference visible when installed being that the lens on the reproduction is a little lighter in color.

The switch on the original feels much more comfortable against my thumb.

The text on the original (for search purposes) reads:
DELTA
ELECT. CO
MARION
INDIANA
MADE IN
U.S.A.

The reproduction seen here has the provision to function as a brake light. This feature was described in the literature for the original bicycle, but does not appear present on this example. To my understanding, it does appear on some.

To conclude:
The original light is flimsy, with the biggest merit for it being the plating. I can see some serious merit in seeing how well one might be able to polish a reproduction taillight. I'm curious as to if any survive that are not dinged up.

I've had a rekindled interest in these bikes and would like to locate an early, painted fender, Luxury Liner. I'm a little confused by the chart so a little summary of my understanding of the first gen LLs.

1. Early bikes ('47-49 serial A-H) will have a tank with a larger Delta horn button on the left side centered whereas the later >'50 tanks have the small horn button near the top on the right side of the tank.
'47-49
C4A1BA93-CD68-4ABC-98C7-DCE20EDC1F20.jpeg

1950-53
4F08CE08-151A-42D0-85B4-81FFE5C64491 - Copy (2).jpeg

2. Early bikes have black painted fenders. The rear fender on these bikes does not have the embossed chevron. The front does and it is chrome. It appears the entire fender was chromed and the chevron was masked then painted.
J3648x2736-06434.jpg

Cropped from Dec '47 Saturday Evening Post ad--notice fenders but also the Lobdell seat, black wall tires, and pointed grips. From the reading in this thread it appears the seat and tires changed sometime in '48.
1947_12_06 Saturday Evening Post - Copy.jpg

The early bikes also have a different rear reflector

Early
56A32100-2B71-4E73-9028-4E6A15ADD863.jpeg

Later
69BE2EF7-67A8-4F3B-A354-81898A4C6089 - Copy.jpeg

The previous posts in this thread also show great comparisons of the repo vs. original rack and tail light.

So does anyone debate that a bike with serial A-H shouldn't have black fenders and the other attributes shown here?

Back