When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking originality information on black fender (1947 - 1949) Roadmaster Luxury Liners

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm not sure about your serial. There's nothing showing, but they've offset the serial for some reason. The older serials were centered on the bracket, and CWC markings don't always have good stamps. I've seen them so light that they're hard to read even after the paint is stripped.
That's really interesting. I look forward to finding serial numbers of more painted fender Luxury Liners.

I had just assumed that because the 1998 reproduction is often stated to be of a 1948 bike, that this had to be 1947. It seems that some sources say that the 1998 reproduction is actually of a 1949 bicycle, which would make more sense, and would put this in the tail end of this model before the update for the 1949 Christmas season.

I'm not sure about your serial. There's nothing showing, but they've offset the serial for some reason. The older serials were centered on the bracket, and CWC markings don't always have good stamps. I've seen them so light that they're hard to read even after the paint is stripped.
So, I took what you said to heart. A bit of time with the Dremel revealed that there is a "CW" after the number. I so would not have checked this if not for you. Thank you!

I should note that I am a bit confused. Should there not be an “A” in front of the “CW” in the serial number?

FE997B65-236A-4352-BA86-551D0DE6B8A8.jpeg

Really?! So cool. I was of the impression that for the Series 3 bicycles, numbers starting with A and B were not supposed to have the “CW” following them.
There are some rare Cw series frames, starting with A and B numbers that do not have Cw stamped. They are pretty rare, and are actually January 1942 made frames (without rear stand frame ears, as that was a change they began in January 1942, on some frames.) Those early non-ear frames were held over to be used when production began again. I have 2 of those rare A_ _ _ _ _ frames without ears, no Cw, both ladies frames. I have pics, but they're not on my phone right now.

Really?! So cool. I was of the impression that for the Series 3 bicycles, numbers starting with A and B were not supposed to have the “CW” following them.
I've seen some A and B Cw stamped frames, and what I was told was that after they dragged the frames out that had been waiting for production to begin again, the ones without the Cw, they used them up first. Then they began stamping the Cw when the company needed to do something to differentiate that series 3. The Cw idea came to their heads after they got stuff rolling again. Some frames were new styles quicker than others, so there was some oddballs. The 2 ladies January 1942 frame bikes I have are both A serial numbers, and no Cw stamp, and no rear frame ears. At war production stopped oddly, and starting back up was awkward and clunky until they got really rolling. CWC took awhile to eventually get flowing in serial number structure. If you really look at the series changes, etc., you'll see they took until 1952 to get to a logical serial number scheme, using 52Cw suffix and A numbers for January, B for February, etc.

ADMIN REQUEST: Is it possible to change the title of this from "(1947 - 1948)" to "(1947 - 1949)", please? My research has revealed at least one solidly original example from 1949, H67241 CW.

On the note of originality, I have been compiling a spreadsheet of all of the painted fender examples that I can locate. The current copy is below. The live version may be found here. I appreciate any and all additions to it.

Owner or photographerserial numberMarketed to menMarketed to womenblue / whiteblack / red
ballooneyA60422 CWxxRetains early rack and forks but later tank and fenders
cbustapeckA60964 CWxx
KscheelA83796 CW
Tim Keith 59C14622 CWxx
piercer_99C22564 CWxx
Sc62 and pre-restoD00594 CWxx
DaveprezG09162 CWxx
riderickH67241 CWxx
chucksoldbikesx
Dave Strombergerxx
eBay via Pinerestxx
modelceller1xx
Nickinatorxx
SimpleMan / hawkster19xx
the2fingerxx
Wards Guy..xx

A couple of minor notes:
  • Massive shout out to Riderick for all the help he has provided with photograph after photograph of all the little details on his example. It has helped me confirm a good few details on my bicycle.
  • Szathmarig has kindly sold me an original chainguard, in the bare metal. I await its arrival eagerly. I am still interested in locating an example in the original paint.
  • The handlebars on my example are Torringtons.
  • Careful investigation of the paint on my example has revealed that a good bit of the bicycle has been repainted. I considered repainting it, given the condition of the surface, but decided that some original paint is better than no original paint.
Big edit:
The thing that I mentioned in a previous post as being a crack in one of the little tubes that the rear fender attaches to is, in fact, an open seam. I cannot think why this would be done, but it was.

Last edited:
ADMIN REQUEST: Is it possible to change the title of this from "(1947 - 1948)" to "(1947 - 1949)", please? My research has revealed at least one solidly original example from 1949, H67241 CW.

On the note of originality, I have been compiling a spreadsheet of all of the painted fender examples that I can locate. The current copy is below. The live version may be found here. I appreciate any and all additions to it.

Owner or photographerserial numberMarketed to menMarketed to womenblue / whiteblack / red
ballooneyA60422 CWxxRetains early rack and forks but later tank and fenders
cbustapeckA60964 CWxx
KscheelA83796 CW
Tim Keith 59C14622 CWxx
piercer_99C22564 CWxx
Sc62 and pre-restoD00594 CWxx
DaveprezG09162 CWxx
riderickH67241 CWxx
chucksoldbikesx
Dave Strombergerxx
eBay via Pinerestxx
modelceller1xx
Nickinatorxx
SimpleMan / hawkster19xx
the2fingerxx
Wards Guy..xx

A couple of minor notes:
  • Massive shout out to Riderick for all the help he has provided with photograph after photograph of all the little details on his example. It has helped me confirm a good few details on my bicycle.
  • Szathmarig has kindly sold me an original chainguard, in the bare metal. I await its arrival eagerly. I am still interested in locating an example in the original paint.
  • The handlebars on my example are Torringtons.
  • Careful investigation of the paint on my example has revealed that a good bit of the bicycle has been repainted. I considered repainting it, given the condition of the surface, but decided that some original paint is better than no original paint.
Big edit:
The thing that I mentioned in a previous post as being a crack in one of the little tubes that the rear fender attaches to is, in fact, an open seam. I cannot think why this would be done, but it was.
You can edit the title yourself.

Back