When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking originality information on black fender (1947 - 1949) Roadmaster Luxury Liners

-
I have edited the titles of other posts of mine, but for some reason, I don’t have that option here. Maybe it’s the number of comments?
No. You should be able to edit it. You have to click edit up in that area, not the text of your first post.

ADMIN REQUEST: Is it possible to change the title of this from "(1947 - 1948)" to "(1947 - 1949)", please? My research has revealed at least one solidly original example from 1949, H67241 CW.

On the note of originality, I have been compiling a spreadsheet of all of the painted fender examples that I can locate. The current copy is below. The live version may be found here. I appreciate any and all additions to it.

Owner or photographerserial numberMarketed to menMarketed to womenblue / whiteblack / red
ballooneyA60422 CWxxRetains early rack and forks but later tank and fenders
cbustapeckA60964 CWxx
KscheelA83796 CW
Tim Keith 59C14622 CWxx
piercer_99C22564 CWxx
Sc62 and pre-restoD00594 CWxx
DaveprezG09162 CWxx
riderickH67241 CWxx
chucksoldbikesx
Dave Strombergerxx
eBay via Pinerestxx
modelceller1xx
Nickinatorx

Big edit:

The thing that I mentioned in a previous post as being a crack in one of the little tubes that the rear fender attaches to is, in fact, an open seam. I cannot think why this would be done, but it was.
In regards to your comment "
Big edit:
The thing that I mentioned in a previous post as being a crack in one of the little tubes that the rear fender attaches to is, in fact, an open seam. I cannot think why this would be done, but it was."
Frames of this time, 46 to 48 or so, do have a slit in those areas. It looks like someone forgot to weld it, but it's original. We have several like it. Pics here of what's normal on most of those frames. I think this is what you're talking about, right?

20201105_230549.jpg

20201105_230617.jpg

In regards to your comment "
Big edit:
The thing that I mentioned in a previous post as being a crack in one of the little tubes that the rear fender attaches to is, in fact, an open seam. I cannot think why this would be done, but it was."
Frames of this time, 46 to 48 or so, do have a slit in those areas. It looks like someone forgot to weld it, but it's original. We have several like it. Pics here of what's normal on most of those frames. I think this is what you're talking about, right?

View attachment 1296902

View attachment 1296903
Yes, that’s exactly what I was talking about - thank you so much for that information. The seam on mine is a bit more open, but that’s exactly it. Thank you!

Yes, that’s exactly what I was talking about - thank you so much for that information. The seam on mine is a bit more open, but that’s exactly it. Thank you!
We have another one that is open a bit farther too. I didn't want to stand on my head to get a picture though. :)

For the sake of possibly gathering a tiny bit more data - and because they were really cheap - I bought these two ads, cut from magazines, on eBay. Both measure about 6 x 5 in.

This one is dated, by hand, November 10, 1947.
BE4CA4EE-D711-4E2E-8BFB-4E0CC7C8DBA4.jpeg

This one is dated, by hand, March 15, 1948.
036A8B02-47A8-4E6E-A2ED-563208559111.jpeg

I'm not going to fuss over tiny details here - I have done that enough already - I'm mostly just posting because I paid for them, so why not put them out there where everyone can benefit.

The thing that catches my attention most is the seat in the first ad. I am really not sure what to make of it.

3634D47F-4A76-4061-A195-5A6F05EBA8B7.jpeg

One note: I have not seen, to my knowledge, a Luxury Liner with original grips that are similar or identical to the ones shown here.

For the sake of possibly gathering a tiny bit more data - and because they were really cheap - I bought these two ads, cut from magazines, on eBay. Both measure about 6 x 5 in.

This one is dated, by hand, November 10, 1947.
View attachment 1315742

This one is dated, by hand, March 15, 1948.
View attachment 1315744

I'm not going to fuss over tiny details here - I have done that enough already - I'm mostly just posting because I paid for them, so why not put them out there where everyone can benefit.

The thing that catches my attention most is the seat in the first ad. I am really not sure what to make of it.

View attachment 1315743

One note: I have not seen, to my knowledge, a Luxury Liner with original grips that are similar or identical to the ones shown here.
The first seat appears to be a Lobdell. V/r Shawn

A brief illustration of the differences between the reproduction and original Luxury Liner racks.

There are plenty of tiny differences between the reproduction and the two original racks that I have right now - namely, regarding the radii of bends, with some being more tight and some being more round. This isn't about that level of pedanticness - my intent is just to show the major differences with reproduction (top) and the two originals that I have right now.

Both are approximately the same weight and strength.

9C4DAAB1-9F0B-479E-9978-5A1B8F7AD05C.jpeg

The shape of the top of the tail end of the rack is significantly different. (Reproduction on left, original on right.)

The legs for the rack are bolted on in the reproduction while the originals are riveted on.

The bracket that attaches the rack to the frame has a bit of a curve in the original (foreground) so that it sits in place better.
97113528-67B3-402D-9E4A-BC1C80B30C9D.jpeg

Back