When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seized Nipple Help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sometimes the rust buster can't get down into the nipple because of rust. I use a dremel tool with a circular steel brush to remove the rust at the head of the nipple so the solvent can get to where it can do some good.

I also had success with one of the Freezing sprays. Seems the intense cold can cause tiny cracks in the rust as is freezes/thaws. Stuff I use claims to have a penetration solvent that also helps.
Good suggestions. Will try both. Thanks

If you remove the rest of the spokes, you can push the stuck spoke/nip combos out the back of the rim, which will give you more room to maneuver and grip the spoke and nipple with vice-grips and a spoke-wrench. Use soft cloth to protect spoke under vice grip.

Whoa ....... :0. Too much for me.... how do you know if they haven’t been already repaced once before? ... :0:0:0
Sorry....slightly obsessed with "original," even down to nipples and bearings. Suspect that there may be a few others on here that share the devotion to OE.

Sorry....slightly obsessed with "original," even down to nipples and bearings. Suspect that there may be a few others on here that share the devotion to OE.

Hell yeah! Original all the way! That's what the CABE is for - source original replacements.

Yes .... I hate it when I mix my old original grease with the new modern stuff it just doesn’t feel the same too me...I feel like I violated the bike....

WD40. Spoke wrench. Back and forth. Eventually you'll hear what sounds like a click or a tick. Back and forth and it will get louder. Freeing up all the crap that's gotten down in there over the years and made the threads lock up. You may have to come back to it a day or two later. But you'll get it. Had 5 on one wheel recently. Slowly but surely saved four of the five. The one spoke broke off inside the nipple.
Good luck!!!

Good luck,I hope you can save some of them. I wouldn't use vise grips on anything I was trying to save,the teeth marks defeat the purpose,IMHO

Back