When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seized Nipple Help

-

pedalpower17

Finally riding a big boys bike
Working on a set Huffman wheels from the 40s. Three nipples/spokes are rusted so bad that I can't get loose. Liquid Wrench, WD40 and even heating nipple with a small torch. I really don't want to have to cut them out. There's a lot of mechanical genius on this site...and I could use a little now!

40s Huffman Zephyr 2.jpg

I've broken some loose by clamping the spoke in a hand vise and unscrewing the nipple. Grind down a screwdriver so it REALLY fits the slot in the nipple and it should come off after penetrating oil and the judicious application of heat. Just hold the spoke so it can't move and make sure the tool you are using on the nipple fits exactly.

Soaking overnight or two may help if you’re down to 3; sometimes I have found it helpful or coincidental to still have the other spokes in place or even tightened to apply some stress to the threads. The WD40 seems less effective and tends to evaporate more overnight. A good old spoke tool may help if not already in use.

Heat them then spray cutting oil in the threads repeat several time until it starts to move. It will take time but it worked for me! Also if you soak the rusted area in white vinegar first it will dissolve the rust. Those two things do work on a lot of stuff? Good luck!

Sometimes the rust buster can't get down into the nipple because of rust. I use a dremel tool with a circular steel brush to remove the rust at the head of the nipple so the solvent can get to where it can do some good.

I also had success with one of the Freezing sprays. Seems the intense cold can cause tiny cracks in the rust as is freezes/thaws. Stuff I use claims to have a penetration solvent that also helps.

Hate to say it they are goners. Just replace them with used ones...
Wont' throw in towel just yet, but you've suggested the best Plan B. Any idea whose selling used spokes? Also, I'm guessing that in the 40s, there was little variety in the length of the spokes on the classic 26" ballooners. Sound about right?

I've broken some loose by clamping the spoke in a hand vise and unscrewing the nipple. Grind down a screwdriver so it REALLY fits the slot in the nipple and it should come off after penetrating oil and the judicious application of heat. Just hold the spoke so it can't move and make sure the tool you are using on the nipple fits exactly.
I used to work on modern bikes a lot, and I have the spoke wrenches, one of which fits very snugly on the top of the nipple, where the spoke enters. However, hate to admit, but it didn't occur to me to hold the spoke with some vice grips. Will give this a try. Thanks.

Soaking overnight or two may help if you’re down to 3; sometimes I have found it helpful or coincidental to still have the other spokes in place or even tightened to apply some stress to the threads. The WD40 seems less effective and tends to evaporate more overnight. A good old spoke tool may help if not already in use.
OK. I've got the spoke wrenches. All spokes still attached, but loosened. I'll give another go with the penetrating liquid wrench. Thanks

Back