When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sellers Remorse

-
Sellers (or buyers) remorse is something I have only had a few times. Very early on in my collecting of bicycles. I learned to understand that we are only caretakers of these things. I buy what I like. If my tastes change and I no longer see an item with the same passion I once did, I will let it go. But on the other hand, I also live by the guide that "Everything is for sale - not everything is priced".
Did I ever tell you about the time I passed on a Persons Speedo setup?

I'd have a hard time selling that Phantom as well...I regret selling mine,I'm realizing I'll never be able to replace it. Spending more than $1500 is out these days, seems any I see in that range are resto candidates or junk. I also regret selling my Color Flow/Regal Deluxe. I really didn't like riding it but it had an old fashioned door bell in the tank as a horn. My children thought it was the coolest thing,always ringing it. Wish I could ring it myself once in a while to remind me of those days. The other stuff I've sold and continue to sell are just dust collectors,rarely used. I'm usually flexible on prices but start high to keep away tire kickers. So far so good.

Last edited:
I agree with the comments above especially Catfish's. I sold at what I thought were fair prices, the buyer is younger and eager as I was when I was his age. When I started If it had 2 wheels, a tank and a light I'd leave my wife on the side of the road for the bike! The fun years ago, (prior to e bay) was the discovery, the people we met and stories they told.

This buyer is new to vintage bicycles, has a killer space to display everything nicely, it was just time to move on from a few of them. Now it's not to say I won't look for a few bikes that have eluded me, I just don't need 50 bikes!

-Mike

I’m fortunate to have different locations to keep my valuables. I move them around from time to time depending on the value. I try to keep some sort of organization. Some times it’s difficult. I resonantly sold a few bikes and such to a couple of pickers from Mexico that couldn’t make up North cause of Covid 19 . They were around for almost 10 days in Texas trying to make their way North . That didn’t work out for them so they visited me twice. They kinda cleaned me out in my for sale location. Really good people, I visited them for their Day of the Dead celebration in Mexico, that was a blast I highly recommend visiting beautiful Mexico. Very friendly people. This area was cleaned out

90547D8F-BDE2-428D-9DCF-350776F02250.jpeg

BC6E9D3E-1464-4604-894E-6E8C582D25BC.jpeg

There’s a couple bikes I miss, but one I wish I never sold was a super clean, showroom new 1985 Huffy Scout II. One of the last quality Huffy bicycles. That was an all out BLAST to ride. It was totally 80’s, decked out with all the old school goodies. I bought it to sell, I was in college and flipping all the time.

Well, after the cash changed hands, the new owner excitedly exclaimed, “This is gonna be a GREAT motobike with this frame!” That made me sick. Clean, hardly abused old school mountain bike gone to the choppers.

My favorite sales are the ones when a vintage bike is sold to be ridden and enjoyed. Repaired or totally overhauled, they always make someone happy. All my flipped bikes get their parts from the LBS down the street, so I’m not slapping Walmart junk on them either, one of my selling points!

When it comes to the 40’s-60’s classics, I don’t sell often. Last time I sold a bunch was after my Radiobike and Corvette purchases. Had to thin the herd into quality over quantity. All went to good homes though, so no regrets. As others said, we are only caretakers. But the best way to grow the hobby is by getting out and riding. Covid virus or not, you can ride by yourself and people will look and be curious. Curiosity leads to interest, and perhaps a new hobby during this quarantine.

I’m fortunate to have different locations to keep my valuables. I move them around from time to time depending on the value. I try to keep some sort of organization. Some times it’s difficult. I resonantly sold a few bikes and such to a couple of pickers from Mexico that couldn’t make up North cause of Covid 19 . They were around for almost 10 days in Texas trying to make their way North . That didn’t work out for them so they visited me twice. They kinda cleaned me out in my for sale location. Really good people, I visited them for their Day of the Dead celebration in Mexico, that was a blast I highly recommend visiting beautiful Mexico. Very friendly people. This area was cleaned out

View attachment 1181613

View attachment 1181614
I have a storage facility on one of my rental properties so I also have spaces/bikes scattered around town. Keep nicer stuff in my garage and even better in the house.

Isn't that where the Colson Flyer was hanging??? It was green I think?

-Mike

I try to keep some sort of organization. Some times it’s difficult. I resonantly sold a few bikes and such to a couple of pickers from Mexico that couldn’t make up North cause of Covid 19 . They were around for almost 10 days in Texas trying to make their way North . That didn’t work out for them so they visited me twice. They kinda cleaned me out in my for sale location. Really good people, I visited them for their Day of the Dead celebration in Mexico, that was a blast I highly recommend visiting beautiful Mexico. Very friendly people. This area was cleaned out
You should have sent them one state West! Bikes galore!

Back