When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling a bike, buyer asks me for a w-9

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

pedal4416

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I have a bike on craigslist(wisconsin) and a large corporation wants to buy it for their museum (in Georgia). They want me to fill out a w-9 and use my social security number instead of a tax ID. Then they will cut me a business check. Sounds legit but also sketchy. The woman I talked to on the phone even sent me pics if their museum. What do you guys think? Any similar experiences like this, with filling out a w-9 and all?? I'd like this to work cause I really need cash but I need advise first! Thank you.

Last edited:
Never heard of that.I would be very cautious.I was selling a car on CL and was fed a similiar line from a "business". What is the bike your selling? post it on the CABE.

It's my Schwinn Cycletruck. Orkin exterminators wants it in their museum. I guess they used Cycle trucks for small local deliverys durring the war. She knew my bike was not period correct but they have someone to mock it up. She is having trouble finding someone who will sell her a cycle truck by going through all this large corporation paperwork. The rollins corp out of Atlanta is who contacted me about putting it in orkin museum

The photos sent to me of exhibit

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm going to call the company on my own and ask if this woman represents them and if they are looking for a bike. I Can also sell it through a friends bike shop and use his tax ID to keep my personal info safe if this is legit. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Back