When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serial number identification reference material

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

m_fumich

Finally riding a big boys bike
What are you guys using for reference material when identifying bicycle serial numbers? When were serial numbers first used? Where, online or in print, can I find serial number info?

I'm sure someone has published a photographic encyclopedia of vintage bicycles. Where can I find that information?

What are you guys using for reference material when identifying bicycle serial numbers? When were serial numbers first used? Where, online or in print, can I find serial number info?

I'm sure someone has published a photographic encyclopedia of vintage bicycles. Where can I find that information?

There a number of serial number data bases, many you can find on line, I suggest you google Schwinn Serial Numbers to start with that will give you a good history on Schwinns. Many of the the manufactures serial numbers are more difficult to decode. There are some good references out there to research, good hunting.
barry

I will do what research I can I drive OTR and my internet access is through my smart phone. If any of you have any links to said info, I'd appreciate it if you'd post the link here. I'm surprised this site doesn't have a sticky with links such as that.

Thanks MrColumbia. All of the information won't be in one place until someone takes the time to collect it and put it in one place. The collecting may take a while but, fortunately, that kind of info won't need to be updated. It's not like it's going to change. I may be biting off more than I can chew, but I'm going to give it a try. that's exactly the kind of project I like. I love collecting data. If I had the time and a better computer, I would compile a photographic reference database.

This will be a challenge. Being a car guy I was spoiled by all the info and lit out there for virtually everything. Bikes are a whole different ballgame. Unlike cars where a serial number may actually tell you something with most bikes the best this will do is tell you when the frame was made-maybe. For instance just about any Schwinn cantilever heavy weight frame between 1949 and 1959 could be a Phantom frame or it could have been a base model frame. Sometimes you will find evidence of the original paint that can narrow it down. I have not seen a reliable source of Shelby #s and there are many others that are lacking as well. Regarding pics; there are a couple of books such as Evolution of the Bicycle Vols I & II. I would caution against using any of these as the last word however as some of the bikes are mis-identified as well as many innacurate restorations. One of your best resources is right here-the Cabe-and its many knowledgeable members--just stay away from Dave and Vince--just kidding guys! V/r Shawn

Any serial number data base would include foot notes to indicate when a particular number was used in multiple applications. Just like showing that the door for a '66 GMC is also for a '66 Chevy.

As for a photographic encyclopedia, all bikes would be confirmed as to their identity. All original bikes wouldn't be necessary. If a bike as a non original part, such as a springer fork when it never came with a springer fork, a notation would be needed but the photo could be used. If it were online, and it would be, users could challenge the authenticity of a bike. Such a site would use as much catalog information as possible as supporting documentation.

.... Such a site would use as much catalog information as possible as supporting documentation.

Therein lies a big problem. For some of these bike there is very little if any documentation e.g. Huffman Model 11 '40 Twin Flex so original bikes are about the only way to document something. Another problem with that is some bikes are so rare only a few original examples exist which don't give a real clear picture of what was actually produced. Once you start digging you'll see what I mean. Lastly, while there are many knowledgeable folks many have never published or documented their research so there is a lot of 'walking around knowledge' but not a whole lot of serious reading out there. V/r Shawn

If/When I get to start this project, I hope that all that walking around knowledge volunteers itself up for the data base. I know that some of the "proof" will be "I got it for my birthday in the summer of 1961." That works and such notes would be included so any user can choose to trust or not trust the info as they chose. I would not use "Well, I heard from some guy at the swap meet......"

Bike serial numbers were not used like an auto's VIN number. They were used to somewhat indicate when the bike was made and for future indentification in cases of loss or theft. A dated coded Schwinn serial number does not give you the build date, model or any other information about a particular bike. There is quite a bit of saved information on the Schwinns and unfortunately not so much on the other makes.

Just one.
http://schwinncruisers.com/

Back