When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serial Number Research

-

Willig5

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I have an old 1960s AMF Courier 10 and I can't seem to find any place to look up the serial number and get more info. Any help would be appreciated.

I have an old 1960s AMF Courier 10 and I can't seem to find any place to look up the serial number and get more info. Any help would be appreciated.
ok so what is the number? A pic would be even better. V/r Shawn

Serial Number.jpg

When serial number records are scarce, some may like to deduce a list, based on examples found, and a known entity to extrapolate from.
Many manufacturers used an alphabet letter to designate the year, and the letter “P” is the 16th letter. Some mfgrs skipped letters.

Perhaps the bike was ~14 years (letters) or so after the opening of the AMF Onley Illinois factory in 1962?

Last edited:
I've only seen the list below. The Courier was a late '60s-70s model. If it was made from '71-79, it'll have a BMA/6 certification decal below the seat clamp.

One thing I just can't understand, is why I can't find even one picture of another AMF 10 speed like this one. I have searched and searched until I am at the end of my rope. I know it's a 70s bike, but this can't be the only one on the planet. I just don't get it.

One thing I just can't understand, is why I can't find even one picture of another AMF 10 speed like this one. I have searched and searched until I am at the end of my rope. I know it's a 70s bike, but this can't be the only one on the planet. I just don't get it.

I've had the same luck trying to find a bike that was the same as my 1961 Kent four bar cantilever 3 speed lightweight with aluminum fenders and carriers. No such bike ever existed. 🤣

There are a great number of modern bikes that are difficult to find information on. Your best bet may be to search period sales catalogs from department stores. As more information becomes digitized this may be easier but for some of these sources you have to buy a subscription. Not really a collectible so not a lot of interest. Good luck in your search!

Back