When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serial number stumper

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

KingSized HD

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Picked this one up yesterday. The chainguard is missing but based on the Stainless fenders, seatmast graphic and bow pedals I think it’s a 3 Spd Corvette. First catalog year for ‘vettes was 1955.

This bike has a serial stamped on the rear hanger of 7D18112 which, I think, would be sometime in 1957. But there’s also a bottom bracket stamp which appears factory to me of D5527Y. That dates to 8/19-28/1952 on the SchwinnCruisers tool. I realize that site isn’t always accurate so I’ll take it with a grain of salt but why would this frame have two stamps? And is ‘57 right for the 7D... rear hanger stamp?

Anyone have any ideas?
F401B081-AF0B-4821-A490-CE778CB4E6C0.jpeg

056609B4-7A80-4859-B0B6-0DAF36183FB8.jpeg

531403E2-7742-48BF-9642-6EDFFFD547E7.jpeg

In some areas or cities,the registration number was stamped under the crank. In my hometown it was done that way.
Yep, I thought the BB stamp might be a Police Dept or License number but it just looked so deep I thought it might be a factory stamping. I think everyone is right about it not being Schwinn.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Definitely a Schwinn. Look at the tires and see what size they are. I'm betting a close inspection of the wheels would also reveal that they're stamped "Schwinn Tubular S-7"

schwinn-tubular-s7-26-wheels-chrome_1_9eb268732212a0c10aa5231a35ca0055.jpg

Definitely a Schwinn. Look at the tires and see what size they are. I'm betting a close inspection of the wheels would also reveal that they're stamped "Schwinn Tubular S-7"

Oh yeah, it's definitely a Schwinn bike, I just wasn't sure if the bottom bracket stamping was done by Schwinn or not.

"It" referring to the stamping, not the bike. Got it. That's one reason that I don't like prounouns; they're either misused or misunderstood.

It has a Shimano 3 speed, should be a Sturmey Archer. The wheels look 26 x 1 3/8ths, the S-7's were probably swapped out for skinnier wheels.
1560071667674.png

Back