When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serial Number Verification Military G-519 Straight Bar?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hello Andy,

I see that you picked up as a parts bike a February 1942 built Columbia Superb. Did you notice the remnants of a ''V'' painted on the rear fender just under the reflector and above what appears to be drop-stand rivet holes? If you also look on the front fender about 3 or 4 inches in from the front tip there is usually another ''V'' painted the same color as the rear one. The painted '' V '' signifies '' Victory '' and was factory applied by the Westfield Mgr. Co. as a way to visually show positive support for the war effort. The painted '' V '' on these bikes seem to be very rare now. Either not that many bikes received these markings prior to April 1942 when the War Production Board (WPB) imposed a 3 month freeze across the board on bicycle sales as well as weight and construction limits on all bicycles, which was the beginnings of the first true '' Victory'' Bicycles during WWII. Or the painted '' V '' markings on most of the Columbia bikes that received them have worn off after 78 years of use and/or abuse. At any rate an early 1942 Columbia that still has these markings on the fenders is quite rare today. I have taken the liberty of placing this group of bicycles under the heading of Pre-Regulation ( that would be the L-52 regulations , which spelled out the restrictions imposed on bicycle regulations from April 1942 - Sept. 1944 ). So that is Pre-Regulation '' V'' ( Victory ) Marked WWII Columbia Bicycles. I personally know of only about 6 of these specially marked bicycles, which includes yours above and mine pictured with this post. Most of those few seem to date between Dec., 1941 and as I remember March 1942. I have noticed that most of these '' V '' marked Columbia bikes are marked as a Superb model.

I understand that you plan to use this as a parts bike for your 1944 Columbia. Personally, I would wait to find another parts bike and restore the Superb since with the '' V '' mark it is so rare. However, I can also understand your desire to get as close to correct parts as possible for your military restoration so it is obviously your choice and good luck with the restoration.

Just a word of caution, the fender width on the Columbia military models is 4''. The fenders on your Superb, which may be old stock from 1941 could be 4 3/4'' wide 3/4'' wider then correct military Columbia Gothic style fenders, which would make them very incorrect for use unless you were making a tribute bike.
Columbia called these wider fenders deep-sided and evidently used them on many of their models in 1941.

My '' V '' marked Columbia Superb is Ser.# G27398 Frame date code J1, late January/early February 1942 manufacture.

Regards,
Bill

Hello Andy,

I see that you picked up as a parts bike a February 1942 built Columbia Superb. Did you notice the remnants of a ''V'' painted on the rear fender just under the reflector and above what appears to be drop-stand rivet holes? If you also look on the front fender about 3 or 4 inches in from the front tip there is usually another ''V'' painted the same color as the rear one. The painted '' V '' signifies '' Victory '' and was factory applied by the Westfield Mgr. Co. as a way to visually show positive support for the war effort. The painted '' V '' on these bikes seem to be very rare now. Either not that many bikes received these markings prior to April 1942 when the War Production Board (WPB) imposed a 3 month freeze across the board on bicycle sales as well as weight and construction limits on all bicycles, which was the beginnings of the first true '' Victory'' Bicycles during WWII. Or the painted '' V '' markings on most of the Columbia bikes that received them have worn off after 78 years of use and/or abuse. At any rate an early 1942 Columbia that still has these markings on the fenders is quite rare today. I have taken the liberty of placing this group of bicycles under the heading of Pre-Regulation ( that would be the L-52 regulations , which spelled out the restrictions imposed on bicycle regulations from April 1942 - Sept. 1944 ). So that is Pre-Regulation '' V'' ( Victory ) Marked WWII Columbia Bicycles. I personally know of only about 6 of these specially marked bicycles, which includes yours above and mine pictured with this post. Most of those few seem to date between Dec., 1941 and as I remember March 1942. I have noticed that most of these '' V '' marked Columbia bikes are marked as a Superb model.

I understand that you plan to use this as a parts bike for your 1944 Columbia. Personally, I would wait to find another parts bike and restore the Superb since with the '' V '' mark it is so rare. However, I can also understand your desire to get as close to correct parts as possible for your military restoration so it is obviously your choice and good luck with the restoration.

Just a word of caution, the fender width on the Columbia military models is 4''. The fenders on your Superb, which may be old stock from 1941 could be 4 3/4'' wide 3/4'' wider then correct military Columbia Gothic style fenders, which would make them very incorrect for use unless you were making a tribute bike.
Columbia called these wider fenders deep-sided and evidently used them on many of their models in 1941.
View attachment 1256979

View attachment 1256980

View attachment 1256981

View attachment 1256982

View attachment 1256979

View attachment 1256980

View attachment 1256981

View attachment 1256982

My '' V '' marked Columbia Superb is Ser.# G27398 Frame date code J1, late January/early February 1942 manufacture.

Regards,
Bill
Hello Bill,

Thank you for all of the great information. To put your mind at rest, I am not going to use the Superb as a parts bicycle with the exception of borrowing the coffin chain ring if need be for the G519, but only until I find another one. And yes, my Superb does have the V on the front fender, same as yours. My long term plan for the Superb is to reassemble it once it is cleaned and greased and keep it for a rider and a a piece of very important history. Even though it had a somewhat hard life, I will definitely preserve it. I currently have 3 other fender pairs to choose from, and two other parts bicycles with many of the needed parts.

Attached is a picture of my 1945 Westfield that I had to explain to my better half of why I could not use it as a parts bicycle, and a photo of a 1937 Westfield Niagara that I had displayed at the Schoharie Valley Railroads Museum Depot for three years. I'm all about history. Thanks again, and your input is always welcome.

Regards, Andy

P.S. Your bicycle is beautiful..!!!

20170510_132457.jpg

Andy, it sounds like you and I have similar thinking patterns in regards to the importance of bicycle history! Very nice bikes and the best of luck with the restorations.

Regards,
Bill

Hi @HUFFMANBILL and @Mountain Trail Andy

I agree very much with the sentiments in the last few mails above. I'm pleased that both the 1942 and 1945 bikes will survive.

Andy, sorry to be a pain, but if the serial numbers for the 1945 and 1932 bikes become available (no urgency!) could you please let me know so I can update my listing further?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back