When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serial Number Verification Military G-519 Straight Bar?

-

Mountain Trail Andy

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello military bicycle fans. I acquired this bicycle 7 weeks ago as a frame only, in gray primer. I noticed that the welds were very excessive/ heavy duty, compared to any bikes that i have ever owned presently or in the past. Knowing that the frame looked like my 1937 Sterling Westfield, I researched the serial number first on the Cabe and Mr. Columbia's old site. Then I started acquiring parts. I hope that hasn't been vain. I am looking to see if this is the real deal, or if it will become a clone. My guess is a 1944, but I'm not the expert on military bikes. I look forward to your answers. Thank you

20200712_161158.jpg
20200712_161346.jpg
20200712_161354.jpg
20200712_161322.jpg

No expert here... But I believe only the military serial numbers start with MG, so seems pretty certain to me. If you would consider selling let me know

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Hi @Mountain Trail Andy

MG14250A, L1 is a G519 frame.

It was made in January 1944, and is (so far) the latest known surviving frame of all G519 production.

One feature of this frame would be that, although the majority of late production frames used 'Sweetheart' chainrings, the last few, like this ne, went back to the earlier 'Coffin' type.

The two surving bikes preceding yours are on this thread:

A fantastic restoration of MG14197A by Serge ( @blackcat ), and an even closer survivor MG14220A belonging to a friend of his. Both were found in France.

Very shortly after this frame was made, the last known batch of USMC bikes was started, first known number being MC14625A, about 2/3 down the page here:

Very nice frame to have found.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
Hi @Mountain Trail Andy

MG14250A, L1 is a G519 frame.

It was made in January 1944, and is (so far) the last known surviving frame of all G519 production.

One feature of this frame would be that, although the majority of late production frames used 'Sweetheart' chainrings, the last few, like this ne, went back to the earlier 'Coffin' type.

The two surving bikes preceding yours are on this thread:

A fantastic restoration of MG14197A by Serge ( @blackcat ), and an even closer survivor MG14220A belonging to a friend of his. Both were found in France.

Very shortly after this frame was made, the last known batch of USMC bikes was started, first known number being MC14625A, about 2/3 down the page here:

Very nice frame to have found.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thank you everyone for your replies. The conformation of the serial number is what I was hoping that it would be. The research by Adrian, the restoration by Serge, and all of the other valuable information on this forum is priceless.

The day after I acquired this bike frame I researched the serial number and Serge's restoration here on the Cabe, and I gave myself the "Green Light" to start searching for parts. Within two weeks I acquired two Westfield parts bikes, a 1942, and a 1946, traveled a total of 810 miles in two neighboring states to get them home, but it was worth it. Now, with most of the parts that I need to make it a rider, I am going to start the slow restoration process, taking my time for the best result possible. I will be documenting the process so that I will have a time line to share with the military bicycle community.

My wife thinks I should sell it.....Not going to happen...lol

Also, I am sure I will have many more questions going forward.

Thanks again to all of you for your comments and support.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your kind words (-:

You should get a nice bike out of it. Though some of the parts are not so easy to find, it sounds like the chase is part of it for you. Best of Luck.

If you get the chance, I'd be interested in knowing the serial numbers and any other details of the 1942 parts bike to improve my records.

Thanks in anticipation.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your kind words (-:

You should get a nice bike out of it. Though some of the parts are not so easy to find, it sounds like the chase is part of it for you. Best of Luck.

If you get the chance, I'd be interested in knowing the serial numbers and any other details of the 1942 parts bike to improve my records.

Thanks in anticipation.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Hello Adrian,

The 1942 bicycle is a men's 26" "Columbia Superb". I have attached some pictures with the serial number. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist in anything else.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks, very helpful (-:

G37135 J3 was built in March 1941 as one of the last civilian bikes produced by Westfield before they started building the MG series G519 bikes. The earliest I have recorded is MG41727, perhaps built the week after. The bikes are essentially the same, just this frame doesn't have an M stamped in front of the number.

I see @Goldslinger 'liked' the post above, his MG42966 is another early, and similar frame.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi Andy,

Thanks, very helpful (-:

G37135 J3 was built in March 1941 as one of the last civilian bikes produced by Westfield before they started building the MG series G519 bikes. The earliest I have recorded is MG41727, perhaps built the week after. The bikes are essentially the same, just this frame doesn't have an M stamped in front of the number.

I see @Goldslinger 'liked' the post above, his MG42966 is another early, and similar frame.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Hello Adrian,

You state my serial number above, but you have it listed as J3, not a J2 as stamped on the bottom bracket. I am assuming that the J code is the date code, correct?

Regards,

Andy

Sorry, Andy, you are correct, it should be a J2, February 1941 (-:

I was looking at some of the early G519 bottom bracket images (with J3), and lost track.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back