When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serial Numbers VS Years (again)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PCHiggin

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I’m bored today,while looking for something to do I rediscovered a receipt and booklet from a BRAND NEW blue Varsity I bought back in ‘82. I didn’t notice the serial number when I found this stuff while cleaning out moms house last year. I’m pretty sure the 2nd digit R stands for the year 1980 unless they changed the standard after 1979? You can read my purchase date of 1982. So, this was either a 2 year leftover in the store or the frame was a leftover @ the factory. Just a little food for thought. Thanks

BAFD0B5E-5F6D-473E-90FD-BC4394FB9967.jpeg

E67863F8-BE3B-4ABA-96B5-A43D4C8B69DB.jpeg

Last edited:
NOS, new old stock. More common than what people think. I bought a new Varsity in the Summer of 1964 and our Dealer had a few leftover bikes including a Red 1963 Varsity. I was seriously considering buying the 63 instead of the Lime 64 because I wanted a Red one, but they didn't make them in Red that year, just Terra Cotta. And the dealer didn't have a Terra Cotta in stock at that time. Schwinn had to dump the previous years inventory at the Distribution centers and I bet they gave the dealers a good deal on those pieces.

Did that Varsity have the 1980 markings/decals or the 82 style?
I don’t remember, I looked up some catalog pics hoping it would jar my memory but really no luck. I’ve had a few with the crappy oval decals since then and don’t remember this bike having them? Been a long time. I rarely used it,kept it inside. A friend I made working out of town for a couple of years loved it and I gave it to him when I moved back, around 1988. Last I heard,about 15 years ago he still has it.

Back