When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serial # ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

pchmotoho

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Would a Schwinn serial number for Jan 1970 (AF--------) ever be on the dropout instead of the head tube?
There's a cotton picker on eBay showing this.

Thanks

In most cases the serial moved from the dropout to the head tube in May 1970. However I've seen some examples all the way through Dec. '70 (MFxxxxx) on the dropout, and some bikes with serials in both places.

EDIT: I believe this is the bike in question: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Schwin...h-ORIGINAL-Parts-MINT-MINT-MINT-/172252584477

While the serial on the dropout is kosher, it sure looks like a repaint and the derailleur and freewheel both appear to be later replacements.

Last edited:
Not to be a parrot - I have tried (serious mental issue on my part?!?) to get the earlier, drop out stamped '70 models where I have bought them, I think Metacortex is right on the money here. I did screw up on the first '70 Sting Ray frame I bought, and got a surprise when it arrived and the number was on the headtube. I sold it almost immediately and kept looking for what I wanted. I have the frame hanging on the wall of wait still, and when all the other "important stuff" gets handled, I'll do something with it.

I looked at the Cotton Picker too. Would love to have it, but it isn't in the cards at this point. I have only put my eyes on one of them ever. I've seen lots of pictures and ads, but a "walk up at smell it" only happened once.

I have AF42XXX, a Jan 70 coaster model Lemon Peeler, and the frame (regular coaster model Sting Ray) that is hanging is CF23XXX. Both are marked on the dropout.
Early 70 4.jpg

Eventually.... This one may end up in white!
REC

Back