When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serious question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I am nearly overwhelmed with all the kind words. My mom was a very practical woman. The truth is, none of the three of us boys had any idea she had stuck such a significant amount of money away. As I might never have this opportunity again, I want to make sure I find the "right one". Please keep sending suggestions. There have been a couple of pictures of bikes I have never heard of before, and that is what I love so much about this hobby. I literally learn from you all EVERY DAY! This was one of the last pictures I have of her...I really didn't feel like blubbering this morning, but life has other plans I guess! lol

037.JPG

So here are a few of my suggestions/thoughts on the subject. First I'd get one bike. I wouldn't rush into it because there are plenty of cool bikes in this price range. Prewar deluxe is where its at. Unfortunately nice, original paint, prewar deluxe bikes generally bring more than your budget and competition can be fierce. If you aren't adverse to decent restorations it opens a lot more possibilities. So here are some of my picks-in no particular order:

1939-40 CWC Four Gill. A restored bike should be around $3000-3500 and an original will be right at $4k

1938 Hawthorne Zep--still a few nice originals out there that should be had for less than your budget

1941 Colson Double Eagle Deluxe aka "Clipper" Originals of these are tough and expensive but I've seen quite a few decent restorations in the $3k and sometimes less range-unique styling

1938-39 Iver Johnson Super Mobike--I've seen prices all over the place for these and a nice original will likely exceed your budget but if you can find a restored bike I believe it should come in under the wire.

1939-40 Monark Five Bar--an nice original probably out of the question for the money but there are some nice restored out there that should be in the $3000-3500 range. For whatever reason I have seen a bunch of horrible restorations of these in some downright crazy colors.

With any of the above, at most rides, you won't run into another. My last couple of pics if you just have to have a Schwinn would be:
1936-39 Motorbike--While prices for original bikes have been climbing I believe if you really shopped it you could find an original paint bike at $4k. Restored you might find decent at $3500 but make sure its right. The limiting factor on original paint will be color--hope you like black and ivory! While these were made in other colors they are highly sought after and will bring good money.

1941 Autocycle Deluxe (canti)--again prices for original desirable colors will get crazy (like this blue one) but maroon/ivory or one of the other common color combos even with a Forebrake should be within range with coin left over.

A couple I left off--37 Zep--not a big guy bike, 38-9 Huffman Twin Flex--if you are over 225lbs then unless you get a pair of John's springs not a good candidate. Good luck with your search. V/r Shawn

So here are a few of my suggestions/thoughts on the subject. First I'd get one bike. I wouldn't rush into it because there are plenty of cool bikes in this price range. Prewar deluxe is where its at. Unfortunately nice, original paint, prewar deluxe bikes generally bring more than your budget and competition can be fierce. If you aren't adverse to decent restorations it opens a lot more possibilities. So here are some of my picks-in no particular order:

1939-40 CWC Four Gill. A restored bike should be around $3000-3500 and an original will be right at $4k
View attachment 1367275

1938 Hawthorne Zep--still a few nice originals out there that should be had for less than your budget
View attachment 1367276

1941 Colson Double Eagle Deluxe aka "Clipper" Originals of these are tough and expensive but I've seen quite a few decent restorations in the $3k and sometimes less range-unique styling
View attachment 1367277

1938-39 Iver Johnson Super Mobike--I've seen prices all over the place for these and a nice original will likely exceed your budget but if you can find a restored bike I believe it should come in under the wire.
View attachment 1367279

1939-40 Monark Five Bar--an nice original probably out of the question for the money but there are some nice restored out there that should be in the $3000-3500 range. For whatever reason I have seen a bunch of horrible restorations of these in some downright crazy colors.
View attachment 1367280

With any if the above at most rides you won't run into another. My last couple of pics if you just have to have a Schwinn would be:
1936-39 Motorbike--While prices for original bikes have been climbing I believe if you really shopped it you could find an original paint bike at $4k. Restored you might find decent at $3500 but make sure its right. The limiting factor on original paint will be color--hope you like black and ivory! While these were made in other colors they are highly sought after and will bring good money.
View attachment 1367281

1941 Autocycle Deluxe (canti)--again prices for original desirable colors will get crazy (like this blue one) but maroon/ivory or one of the other common color combos even with a Forebrake should be within range with coin left over.
View attachment 1367288

A couple I left off--37 Zep--not a big guy bike, 38-9 Huffman Twin Flex--if you are over 225lbs then unless you get a pair of John's springs not a good candidate. Good luck with your search. V/r Shawn
Thank you Shawn! I would be incredibly happy to find a nice example of any of these. I'm especially digging the Colson and the Monark.

Thank you Shawn! I would be incredibly happy to find a nice example of any of these. I'm especially digging the Colson and the Monark.
We have the same flavor! That Colson jus' screams I'm different, a little kitchy cool, & weird but those Monark 5 bars are unique too! I have to say I love Monarks though.

Just be aware/remember they seemed to crack or be problematic with the lower down tubes in the BB area if I recall Shawn's knowledge here.

We have the same flavor! That Colson jus' screams I'm different, a little kitchy cool, & weird but those Monark 5 bars are unique too! I have to say I love Monarks though.

Just be aware/remember they seemed to crack or be problematic with the lower down tubes in the BB area if I recall Shawn's knowledge here.
I’ve seen that on the postwar bikes but don’t recall a Five Bar breaking there. V/r Shawn

I’ve seen that on the postwar bikes but don’t recall a Five Bar breaking there. V/r Shawn
Ahhh. I assumed it applied to all those models made that way. I don't remember the guy who had the rough red frame but I remember we were discussing it here because he thought it was something else ....

Back