When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Service help needed for my Spaceliner I'm at my whits end!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Been there before didn't work out well . I live in a small town in Texas no bike shops only Walmart . A family member told me of a place called Village cycle out of Arlington Heights IL. I sent him my red band 24" wheels for a total overhaul & laced in stainless.
Unbelievable !!! Talk to Joe

Yeah I did think about that but other than the races and loose balls I was super careful where I oiled and where I greased.
There's something you missed and I understand your frustration B/C it's got to be simple and Simple can can get your goat.. These are not very difficult to take apart and reassemble. Heck I did it as a kid and had 1 rule: "It's mind against metal. Mind created metal so, metal loses every time."

Back then I had no help, books or diagrams just determination. That's all you need: "Determination".

And wish I had what you can get now, jeez. Use these two videos Bendix 2 speed disassembly part I and II, repair and rebuild:

Part I :

Part II assembly:

Been there before didn't work out well . I live in a small town in Texas no bike shops only Walmart . A family member told me of a place called Village cycle out of Arlington Heights IL. I sent him my red band 24" wheels for a total overhaul & laced in stainless.
Unbelievable !!! Talk to Joe
Try Village CycleSport, Barrington, Illinois for Joe on Northwest Highway. I'm a buddy.

Last edited:
Bear with me this is my first YouTube videos and they are unedited for length.

Video 1 - Operation on the bike

Video 2- Disassembled

Video 3- Assembled

There's something you missed and I understand your frustration B/C it's got to be simple and Simple can can get your goat.. These are not very difficult to take apart and reassemble. Heck I did it as a kid and had 1 rule: "It's mind against metal. Mind created metal so, metal loses every time."

Back then I had no help, books or diagrams just determination. That's all you need: "Determination".

And wish I had what you can get now, jeez. Use these two videos Bendix 2 speed disassembly part I and II, repair and rebuild:

Part I :

Part II assembly:
I needed his videos to go a step further putting it in the hub shell but yes these were very helpful

I needed his videos to go a step further putting it in the hub shell but yes these were very helpful
Yeah, sorry bout that, I presumed or Ass-U-N-Me-d he completed assembly. However I'd reverse taking it apart.

Also just noticed he's got 4 parts albeit numbered funky. Certainly worth attention are the extra two showing how it works: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3n0ffUd1sKOxrUMZB2vA6na1EZS3lnuE

I can't tell what's going wrong in your video except it wants to fight. Maybe do a practice run assembling all the guts out of the hub exactly reverse of what he does, including the side he's doing it.
Man, I mean, I can only remember that there was a trick I'd explain to other kids in the hood but, we're talking, like, 1966 or somting. I guess I did what the video guy does; Figure it out without the hub. If you haven't seen the other two maybe, they'll help.

And IDK but the one brake I disliked was New Departure, a Pain in the butt getting the rings aligned as inserting. Little did I know then, was to grease it up enough to make them stick. Too simple; I fought and fought wit ND's but thanks to you tube 4 year ago, a piece of cake.
Regardless, after seeing this guy's videos , the slots inner hub and similar rings on brake side, I wonder if these need to be aligned before inserting too.

Last edited:
From the start there shouldn't be that much drag while spinning and certainly not with the bearings that loose. You shouldn't have anywhere near that much play.
Getting to the problem, you assemble from the brake end first. Hard to see on my phone but something is not right with the clutch assembly. I cant see the tangs but the ab-21 should hold it all together. Install that as one piece along with the brakes. Then screw the sprocket on. Kinda hard to see but the outer bearing race on the sprocket side might be upside down too.

Give us a good shot of the ab-21 and that assembly together.

Good job with the video, lets make this thing work.

Bad pic but I have it. The AB-21, AB-23 and AB-3 go in as one piece. The AB-21 holds it together. It needs to have both tangs and both windows for the detents have to be complete and not broken out

KB Parts.jpg

Back