J-Wagon, Rusty and the other contributors THANK YOU!
I had to deconstruct the order I put it together. I needed a video that doesn't exist just showing me what was assembled going into the hub and I would have been home free.
That being said when I was able to assemble on the BRAKE side as one unit with all the little nipples and fingers inserted where they needed to be and then putting the drive side on it went together PERFECTLY!
I had a low gear!
After kickback you feel low for a second and then HIGH GEAR WHOAAAA!
It's alive! Thanks for helping me get this girl out the door with all her gears! I feel like a dummy for not thinking about the assembly a little more "outside the hub" so to speak lol.
Tears right now finally conquering this stupidly simple design. Now I can be the guy to help assist others with their hubs!
Ha, just stumbled across this thread. Matt, that's awesome news, and your last video had me in tears. I've so been there before with similar bike/hub struggles, and glad you were able to persevere, figure it out, and get it to the finish line. Congrats.
I am not too proud to admit I missed something but I beat myself up over it for I think 4 total hours. What the heck is wrong with me? Everyone is saying it's easy? I needed to visualize that critical step and a bunch of folks just got me on the right path and my face just lit up when it came together in my hands. To feel that second gear finally hit was like winning the lottery.
So glad you figured it out! I was going to suggest you de- lace the hub and send it to me. I would have got it working and sent it back on my dime. But, you would have still felt defeated. You now have the satisfaction that you were able to conquer it on your own! Happy for you!
Listen I was ready to give my first child to get this going. I felt like I should have left well enough alone with the original setup. I hate when I can't fix something and worse when I can't pay someone in a local bike shop to just get me out of a tough spot.
I couldnt see it in your video other then the 23 and the 3 weren't connected and just flopping around.
Here is a broken AB-21. The 23 and 3 (23 and 303 on a yellow) work together but needs the 21 to do it. This one is no good. With the window being open they dont stay linked.
The way you put it together and screwed the 23 tight the AB-3 probably couldn't clip in.
I find these broken by being forced apart, taken apart from the brake side and trying to pull it out. Once that window is broken its done!