When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Service help needed for my Spaceliner I'm at my whits end!!

-

skamatt23

Look Ma, No Hands!
My Spaceliner has failed to launch...

I'm starting this new post to hopefully find som help getting my two speed kickback fixed or advice on how to move forward...

In my other thread the CABE has been indispensable with photos/links/resources and advice on servicing my Bendix kickback but I am at a dead end and don't want to keep throwing money at it. Replaced a new index spring and I still can't get it to shift despite a complete teardown.

OPTION 1 - Anyone/a shop in the tri-state area I can meet with to fix this? Someone who may have parts/donor I may need despite not seeing damage internally? Hub is currently built into a newly laced wheel. All my shops have closed up permanently that previously could have handled this. Is mailing this to Bicycle Heaven my only rebuild option from a shop that can work with this?

OPTION 2- Find another kickback hub that has already been tested/rebuilt/ known working condition 100% and lace it to my wheel?

OPTION 3 - Cut my losses and go back to the spokes/original one speed hub I started with.

It is killing me that I assembled it fine but it won't shift. New indexing spring, no gunk inside etc. I really want to ride this next season to the Unisphere for the World's Fair and have a cool period correct ride for the landmark.

I'm willing to pay to have this properly set up and shipped if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Op 1). If you are going to mail it somewhere, I suspect there are pros right here on the forum who can help.

Op 2). Not likely to go well in my opinion. Most of these need to be torn down, working or not. This sounds like throwing money out the window. There are brand new ones made in India, but it seems like a lot of money when you already have what you have.

Op 3). Mechanically there's nothing wrong with the idea, but I think it would be a shame.

P.S. you should be able to watch this thing shift with the parts out of the hub. Tabs dropping in and out of a notch on that new spring of yours.

Best of luck whatever you do.

Frustrating but They’re really not overly complex. Good luck finding a local bike shop that even heard of a Bendix hub let alone one which hasn’t been made since 1964 or ‘65. Only one anywhere near me. YOU CAN FIGURE IT OUT. Do the brakes work? Take it apart again, check the condition and positions of the clutch retarder couplings, Items 11 and 13 in the manual. The clutch/s should still work but not very well if these are really worn, you might have somehow have them on wrong. Seems to me the clutch/s aren’t working. Wish I had it in front of me,at least I could tell you the problem. Only ones I couldn’t fix with a good cleaning and tweaking of the index spring had broken or missing parts.

Last edited:
My Spaceliner has failed to launch...

I'm starting this new post to hopefully find som help getting my two speed kickback fixed or advice on how to move forward...

In my other thread the CABE has been indispensable with photos/links/resources and advice on servicing my Bendix kickback but I am at a dead end and don't want to keep throwing money at it. Replaced a new index spring and I still can't get it to shift despite a complete teardown.

OPTION 1 - Anyone/a shop in the tri-state area I can meet with to fix this? Someone who may have parts/donor I may need despite not seeing damage internally? Hub is currently built into a newly laced wheel. All my shops have closed up permanently that previously could have handled this. Is mailing this to Bicycle Heaven my only rebuild option from a shop that can work with this?

OPTION 2- Find another kickback hub that has already been tested/rebuilt/ known working condition 100% and lace it to my wheel?

OPTION 3 - Cut my losses and go back to the spokes/original one speed hub I started with.

It is killing me that I assembled it fine but it won't shift. New indexing spring, no gunk inside etc. I really want to ride this next season to the Unisphere for the World's Fair and have a cool period correct ride for the landmark.

I'm willing to pay to have this properly set up and shipped if needed.

Thanks in advance!
@Krakatoa

Back