When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serviceability of Spaceliner 2 speed kickback?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
When I get the housing off it's nice that I can test the hub in my hands for function, spray it down with the appropriate cleaner and see if it fixes it. I'd be surprised if anything is broken or out of place but the main bearings feel like they have straight weight oil I used to use on my old 1947 Plymouth...during the winter lol. The only thing thicker has to be the differential oil I use in my rc cars. 100k weight!

I would take it apart a little further rather than just spraying it off. You don't have to tear it down to the last tiny part like the Schwinn manual usually shows (they had to cover EVERYTHING). You should try to be sure everything is clean, and there is new lubrication on everything that moves. Draggy old scummy grease all has to go. I would get lubrication of some kind under the retarder springs even if you don't take them off. I don't remember that particulars for this hub, but you can probably just turn them like a spinning wheel would turn them. The planetary gears would no doubt like some fresh light grease or oil. Also there are loose balls in there between the two clutch drives, big ones like 1/4" or so, so not impossible to deal with, but disassemble it over a pan. Use grease to hold them in place while you reassemble.

You might like this too. Save it, print it out get it grease throw it away. Print another the next time.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sutherland/CB-IGH-3-bendix.pdf
I just noticed Sheldon brown footnote on substitute for locknut tool says "A serviceable substitute can be fashioned from a spark plug by chipping out the center electrode and cutting back the side electrode so that the stub engages locknut slots."

Just curious anyone use spark plug to remove locknut?

I just noticed Sheldon brown footnote on substitute for locknut tool says "A serviceable substitute can be fashioned from a spark plug by chipping out the center electrode and cutting back the side electrode so that the stub engages locknut slots."

Just curious anyone use spark plug to remove locknut?
I had made one from a 3/8 rod coupling. It worked but when you have one that's really stuck the right tool helps. Its tapered to match the nut and has more area to bite. The ones from eagle for $6?? They look like the originals.

Today I disassembled untested gummy bendix redband kickback, fairly straightforward. The loose balls sticky gummed up so no worry about spilling out. One loose ball was damaged, replaced with spare ¼" ball. Wd40 loosened things up pretty well. Small flathead to loosen up dried up grease crust

Basic components. I didn't bother break down to the granular level. This is after brush and wipe with wd40. Good luck!

Back