When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sex and cycling: How bike craze aroused passions in 1890s San Francisco

-
Well San Francisco has changed a bit in terms of acceptance since then huh? I'm all for ladies on bikes - even those who hahhhh... Wave and smile:eek:. Now perhaps i show some ignorance and ruffle some feathers. Had i been around to bah humbug back then i would have unofficially joined the anti-bloomer campaign. Those were about the least flattering ladies clothing item ever. Kinda reminds me of the hammer pants from the 90s. Was there a lack of ladies bikes and skirtguards back then? At least I can see a rough outline of a booty or hips on Ms. Gulch. We really got it made with the biker shorts and yoga pants that ladies wear cycling these days.

downloadfile.png

a9bb117d81ee6effa69116a4123be532.jpg

187703_1239738707007_277_320-1.jpg

Scandalous! My favorite period denunciation of the bicycle is "The Dangers and Evils of Cycling"
For some reason a link to the piece on google books is not working. Go to google books, search for "dangers and evils of bicycling" in a journal called Medical Age by CC Mapes. It is entertaining and worth the effort!
The next stop for any girl on a bike is going to be the Fallen Women's Refuge...

Last edited:
Back