When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sex and cycling: How bike craze aroused passions in 1890s San Francisco

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Well San Francisco has changed a bit in terms of acceptance since then huh? I'm all for ladies on bikes - even those who hahhhh... Wave and smile:eek:. Now perhaps i show some ignorance and ruffle some feathers. Had i been around to bah humbug back then i would have unofficially joined the anti-bloomer campaign. Those were about the least flattering ladies clothing item ever. Kinda reminds me of the hammer pants from the 90s. Was there a lack of ladies bikes and skirtguards back then? At least I can see a rough outline of a booty or hips on Ms. Gulch. We really got it made with the biker shorts and yoga pants that ladies wear cycling these days.

downloadfile.png

a9bb117d81ee6effa69116a4123be532.jpg

187703_1239738707007_277_320-1.jpg

Scandalous! My favorite period denunciation of the bicycle is "The Dangers and Evils of Cycling"
For some reason a link to the piece on google books is not working. Go to google books, search for "dangers and evils of bicycling" in a journal called Medical Age by CC Mapes. It is entertaining and worth the effort!
The next stop for any girl on a bike is going to be the Fallen Women's Refuge...

Last edited:
Back