When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shaping up, one good setback.

-

FICHT 150

Finally riding a big boys bike
I’ve been working on this 1941 Colson Scout. It was rough, yes, seller told me it was rough, and I’ve had some good, dirty fun tracking down parts, and servicing bike stuff, like hubs and bearings. I got the thing so it is on it’s wheels, and can be pushed around the shop, instead of being spread out on the floor. So far, so good.
But, rust never sleeps, and rust got a good start on the threads at the top of the fork. It is stripped and can’t be used.
I found another fork on the ‘bay, and it looks like it will work out fine. I’ve got a bit of a break in the action.
But, I’m thinking the full restoration thing might be misplaced on a bike that is, at this point, no where near an original example. I restored a ‘59 Schwinn Tiger, it was a lot of fun, but, isn’t something I’m interested in riding a lot. I’m not sure if I should leave it in the black enamel that was brushed on, and has decayed to the point seen below, not really a bad old bicycle look, or, perhaps a repaint that gets it all one color, but would maintain the “old bike, well used by many” look, that I’m gaining an appreciation for. I feel I would definitely spend more time on the bike, enjoying it, it I hadn’t spent big time and money on perfect prep and paint. I have no interest in selling, or, in seeing somebody think they are getting something they aren’t, down the road.
We have an abundance of great bike riding locally, and rather then worrying about chips or wear in a paint job I labored over, I’m considering having a well dialed in bike that looks like it was rode to where it is seen. It is close to that, now. I like the look of new and freshly serviced parts in the mix, like the pedals, (any part you touch, basically) fender braces, tires, and hubs, jumbled up with some patina. You tell people, “No, it isn’t junk, it has been serviced, and everything works perfect, thank you very much.
No, I’m not going to paint it”. That kind of deal.
Some photos for reference. By the way, a bunch of you guys have helped me find stuff, and/or ponied up advice on the project, you know who you are, and many thanks.
Ted

C7966DA7-D71F-4472-9578-CF9E863145EC.jpeg

161C524B-5746-427B-8EB7-6AB39A174B78.jpeg

381161B8-3A2E-4E23-A378-492A2E73D3F4.jpeg

9C03E738-6029-47A9-B74E-303C90B21CBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. I have a ways to go. Those wheels trued up beautifully, after I set the tension on the spokes.
Ted

Back