Shaw Motorbike.

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cyclefreak13

Look Ma, No Hands!
Well I guess I should move this to projects. I was trying to figure out if my frame on my Shaw was an original 1901 or 1902 Rambler. The answer is No. The frame looks to have been a TOC girls bike that was converted to a boys frame. I assume it was built into a Shaw motorbike in the past 30 years. I got the frame blasted and found a bunch that needs to be corrected. The biggest problem is the frame neck is 3/8" twisted out of square. So, I have a bit of work ahead of me.
1258264

Why I decided to blast the frame.
1258265


Found bondo over top of the braze joint.
1258266

Let us see what is hidden under that paint.
1258267


Hmm, dogleg not fully brazed.
1258268


Still some bondo stuck in the bronze.

1258269


Remnant of the joint from where this was a girls frame.
1258272


Neck joints. You can see where the top tube joint was modified when converted to a boys frame.

Well I have a few supplies to get like brazing rod and gas for my welder. So, this may take a bit to get back into shape and done correctly.
 

cyclefreak13

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have been chugging along slowly. The past couple of months have been busy with work that pays the bills, so the Shaw has been sitting to the side. The biggest slow down was waiting on parts to build my wheels. It took a month and a half just to get the rims thanks to the USPS. Then it took another month just to get the spokes. But I will stop complaining and show you all what has been going on.

The frame before repair.

1392734


The frame during repair.
1392739


1392740


1392741


Let the brazing begin.

1392744


1392742


The doglegs for the belt sheave were an area of worry for me as they had visible gaps. So I just filled the entire join.

1392745


1392743
 

cyclefreak13

Look Ma, No Hands!
While working on the frame I made an interesting discovery. It has a patent date of Apr 25 1893 on the bottom of the crank.

1392746


Now to clean up the braze in the joints.

1392748


1392749


1392750


1392752


1392747


While working on the forks I realized I didn't add the truss rods as I had planned. So I had to get to work.

1392753


1392754


1392755


1392756


1392757
 

cyclefreak13

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have always liked the looks of the early Indian Motorcycles, so I was going for that kind of styling. Hence the headlight mount on the truss rods.

1392759


I had to also find a set of 28" fenders. I got lucky and came up with an NOS set out of New York from a collector/restorer who bought the contents of an old bicycle shop in the 1980s when it closed.

1392760


1392761


I even found a Lucas King of the road carbide lamp like I wanted.

1392762


Now on to the gas tank. Remember I like the early Indian motorcycles. So camelback it is...
1392763


1392764


And then I went to the metal supply house and OOOO SHINY...

1392765
 

cyclefreak13

Look Ma, No Hands!
So camelback no more. Copper tank it is.

1392773


A little reinforcing patch for the petcock. And now I need end caps. Hand forming it is.

1392774


1392776


Oh I also got a Brooks B33 seat. Now I know a lot of you are thinking. "That looks like crap, why didn't he make the tank fill the top tube area?" Well I need an oil tank as well. I fitted a Best and Lloyd oil pump to it as well. I had a 1910/12 Harley I built a while ago and hated the fact that I could not verify I was getting oil while riding. With a total loss oiling system this is a bit worrisome. The Best and Lloyd has a sight glass and is spring powered instead of gravity.

1392778


1392777


I wanted the bike to remain svelte so it is as narrow as possible.

1392780


Oh I also fitted a Delta battery tube.


1392781


1392779


I mocked up the remaining parts to fit/make.

1392785
 

cyclefreak13

Look Ma, No Hands!
And that is basically where I paused. I still need to find a carbide rear lamp that I can afford. But the bones of everything else are there. Having sat on it I know the suspension isn't stiff enough. I do have a plan for this though.

1392794


I need to fit the belt sheave to the rear rider rim. Though the original rims are in decent shape, no way am I riding on 90+ year old single tube tires. Plus I needed to add better brakes. I got the rims laced up, but that is boring to look at so I will save you and just show the finished product once I get the sheave mounted.

Not bad from where I started to now.
1392792


1392793


I will keep you all posted. Sorry for taking so long to update you all.
 

cyclefreak13

Look Ma, No Hands!
Nothing much to report. I figued out that my Cycletruck New Departure D hub needs new bearings as the outer had two that had split in half. But I did get the belt sheave mounted. Had to use some 1/4" rubber blocks to make up the differance from the wooden rim. It was a little nerve wracking drilling into the rims that took me so long to get, but I got it done. Oh and here are a couple boring wheel lacing pictures while Im at it.
20210411_132953.jpg
20210411_151406.jpg

20210411_153443.jpg
20210425_134032.jpg



Oh and I made a rack for the rear. Mainly to hold my panniers. I still need to make my acetylene gas generator mount.
20210418_163046.jpg

20210418_163024.jpg

Oh and I found the more correct Schebler carburetor. The original Lunkenheimer mixers (carburetors) were not the best. From my experience with my 1910/12 Harley, I knew the Scheblers were a better more modern choice. Took me a while to find a complete one, but I got it finally.
20210418_162511.jpg
 
Last edited:
Top