When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sheffield Super Track Pedals VS. Noli-Cattaneo 618 Pista - Which are older?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MikeXToronto

On Training Wheels
Howdy folks! I've just dusted off these Sheffield Super vintage track pedals but cannot find any reference online.

I've found some of the online histories, both to the company and associated pre-brand, but nothing has a finite date.

They are very similar to the Noli-Cattaneo 618's except that the front row and side rows of teeth / treads are much more aggressive in nature... ie sharper.

I have found another set online as a part of a Flickr photo collection stamped 'N.C. Pavia - 618 Speciale Pista' (These ones also have the aggressive front 'teeth.')

Any input? Thanks in advance.

sheffield-super-vintage-track-pedals- - 1.jpg

sheffield-super-vintage-track-pedals- - 2.jpg

sheffield-super-vintage-track-pedals- - 3.jpg

sheffield-super-vintage-track-pedals- - 4.jpg

sheffield-super-vintage-track-pedals- - 5.jpg

sheffield-super-vintage-track-pedals- - 6.jpg

sheffield-super-vintage-track-pedals- - 7.jpg

sheffield-super-vintage-track-pedals- - 8.jpg

sheffield-super-vintage-track-pedals- - 9.jpg

Might want to post that in the vintage lightweight section to get a better response. V/r Shawn

-----

document of 1922 -

advert of 1961 -

carton -

look familiar? -

Sheffield Pista Nr. 613 -

Sheffield Nr. 673 -

[apologies if nothing new here]

-----

Thank you. I don't know the policies though. Should I delete this one? Move it somehow or just repost?
Not a policy just a suggestion to get better visibility. You can hit the “report” button and ask the mods to move or just repost. V/r Shawn

look familiar? -

View attachment 1625969
Sheffield Pista Nr. 613 -

View attachment 1625971

[apologies if nothing new here]
Yes, I've seen those. The Sheffield Pista Nr. 613's are stamped as such (no Super) and don't have the sharper teeth. The bottom 613's appear to have aluminum components.

The closest, aside from the first reference. are the "Sheffield (1940?)" {below} as they have the same metal construction, end cap and axle / spindle.

B00A4D31-6623-4CEF-BB02-617CCB8348D6.jpg

I guess my question is answered though... The Noli-Cattaneo appear older, but still no resource on the time frame of the Sheffield Super model.

Noli-Cattaneo is the manufacturer of Sheffield pedals, they are one in the same.

The earliest dated reference to Scheffield (yes, the "c" is intentional) Super pedals that I know is in the 1933 Doniselli catalog, pista only. Written description only, no image.

The Registro Storico Cicli website does have an undated Sheffield catalog. Based on the typography is is definitely pre-WW2 and if I were to guess, I'd say late 20s, early 30s. Pictured in the catalog are Super Sheffield pedals, both corsa and pista. The corsa has the "side" teeth, the pista has no "side" teeth. Also, the number of "side" teeth on the catalog pedal is less than the the number of "side" teeth of the OP's pedals.

The Bozzi catalog from 1947(?) has the Sheffield Super pista only, again without the "side" teeth.

The 1949 Doniselli catalog has a few models of Sheffield pedals, there is no mention of the Super.

One other thing. The Sheffield catalog on the RSC site makes no mention of aluminum on any pedal in the catalog making a case for late 20s, early 30s. The 1933 Doniselli catalog has aluminum Scheffield Super pista pedals. The 1927 Doniselli catalog has no Sheffield pedals.

-----

thank you so much for this great information @iab !

---

with regard to dating order -

have long wondered about the models with the model number stamped on the barrel

they tend to "seem" earlier than those without but perhaps this was something which went back and forth through time and there is no order...

there were also some produced with no markings whatsoever, such as some examples of model Corsa Nr. 655 and model 663 -

[images and identifications from Speedplay museum]

---

another variable is the presence/absence of the Sheffield name on the dust covers

---

there were also Sheffield marked hubs

this example came OEM on a Torpado (Torresini) machine ca. 1970 -

---

there is/was an Italian framebuilder by the name of Aniceto Cattaneo who was active in the 1960's

wonder if he may have been a descendent of the Cattaneo founder of Noli-Cattaneo/Sheffield...

this disscussion thread covers a frame he built which was sold as a Urago

-----

Back