When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Bars revisited

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JO BO

I live for the CABE
Okay Some of you here are already saying "here we go again" but I am the kind of guy who loves definitive answers. So lets see what we can do as a group.

This is regarding the "The Shelby" braced bar aka Shelby Motorbike handlebar of the teens/twenties. We have had discussions of application primarily to Davis "Harley Motorcyke" models and that is again my focus today. The ads of 1916 (pre Harley) show 'The Shelby" in ads for the Chicago Handle Bar company , Shelby Ohio. In this ad reference is made to the cross bar being securely brazed to the side bars. I have a nice example of one and have also observed one on an original bike(1918) that just has to be completely original as it is almost perfect for paint accessories etc a true survivor.... It has the attachment as shown in the first pic. I wish I could get the width of them for reference and maybe will someday.
Not all Motorcykes had the same Shelby bars!!!! anyone besides Patric know that? the 1917 Harley had bars 21 1/2" wide per literature. accessories catalog of 1919 lists them at 20 1/2" wide so an inch difference. Were subsequent years even different (literature I have doesn't say. When did the change occur 1918? 1919? or did it at all as Chicago Handle Bar company came out with a (third) braced bar in 1922 called 'The Beauty" ( I wonder what the second bar was called?) it was shorter in grip length and advertised a non rattle crossbar. Looks like the ends that attach to the side bars are thin (made for the narrow stem) and they recess into eyelets ....so not brazed. When did the brazing end? 1918? 1919? etc. Some stated probable design changes and I agree with that statement .......so in the ad of 1922 we find the statement this bar will be a friend of our two(2) other sizes meaning? width/drop/grip length etc. differences?
I know the Harley used the thick ended brace bar with the wide gaped stem. at this point I believe instead of brazing eyelets began in 1919 by research I have found. If anyone has actual original Harley Motorcykes of any year please send detailed pics ,measurements etc of the bars so maybe we can pin point the transitions. The Beauty bars of 22 seem to be lacking the pointed bosses of prior years but may just be an artist's quick rendition so hard to tell on that point. thanks for any input Cabe members.

ECA0F1DE-2E05-4C23-9897-24742042B164.jpeg

BEEDEF22-88C6-42A8-ADE8-B7847BBA996A.jpeg

D572191C-63D0-4615-8446-C297BFC302CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Back