When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Big Tank Differences

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here is a Shelby bicycle ad from a old book I found long ago called American bicyclist. Dated March 1939!
IMG_20180723_162328695.jpg

Great info...keep writing please. Here is one I found recently you may have seen. It matches the description you site. It has an N serial number which says '38. The serial number sheet is widely disputed. I was told may be a 1940. I may scratch off the crust and look at the serial number on the hub to compare dates. This first image has the original seat on it. There are also two mud flaps broke off right at the fender lines.
ed29f84bb2d7dacf003a4c7fd872cded.jpg
6a774d51bb9983a51b6be0311e817d8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
5655a541639c9baa629ecfe57d5f5db6.jpg

Last edited:
I currently have 30 original paint shelbys in all different years and models. Mens and womens, from 1936-1951. I have over 2k photos saved of all different shelbys. Every time a Shelby pops up anywhere, I save the photos and details. As far as the big tank differences... only some of the facts here hold true from what I have studied. As per all bicycle manufacturers, anything option wise can be sold. Just like a car from the days of these great bikes. It has been disputed many times about Chrome big airflow guards being an aftermarket item and not offered from Shelby, not true. The fluted fenders have two variances, both made by wald. I have each variance, the lindell seats and seat posts.... dont get me started on all the differences. Even the airflow and arrow frames are totally different, not just in the down tube but also the steer tube and the two top tube distances. The curved braces fenders changed in 1941. Sure they look the same.... but they're not. Trust me. So as I stated, just because it's in a catalog, doesn't hold true. A drawing doesn't depict reality. Like the non existing concept airflow that people swear exists.... it was an artist's rendition of an airflow. I'll stop now before any more brains spew smoke....

Great informative thread, I'm going to copy for reference unless someone has printed copies that may be available for purchase.

Mike

I currently have 30 original paint shelbys in all different years and models. Mens and womens, from 1936-1951. I have over 2k photos saved of all different shelbys. Every time a Shelby pops up anywhere, I save the photos and details. As far as the big tank differences... only some of the facts here hold true from what I have studied. As per all bicycle manufacturers, anything option wise can be sold. Just like a car from the days of these great bikes. It has been disputed many times about Chrome big airflow guards being an aftermarket item and not offered from Shelby, not true. The fluted fenders have two variances, both made by wald. I have each variance, the lindell seats and seat posts.... dont get me started on all the differences. Even the airflow and arrow frames are totally different, not just in the down tube but also the steer tube and the two top tube distances. The curved braces fenders changed in 1941. Sure they look the same.... but they're not. Trust me. So as I stated, just because it's in a catalog, doesn't hold true. A drawing doesn't depict reality. Like the non existing concept airflow that people swear exists.... it was an artist's rendition of an airflow. I'll stop now before any more brains spew smoke....

Like I said Chris I made some very broad generalizations and this subject is worthy of a monograph. Maybe you could start putting something together? V/r Shawn

Slick (AKA Chris), I know you have a great deal of knowledge with respect to these large tank shelby's and hope you can share some of the more specific details with us all. Shawn started a great thread to try and help answer some of the questions about Shelby's that are always coming up, and I'd help him out, but my knowledge is limited as I just buy these things and do not do any in depth study into all the years and nuances of each. I think it would be really cool if you could share some of your pictures and help us better understand details on what we need to be aware of as we venture into these higher end bikes.

Last edited:
I noticed in the ad photo R88 and R89-R90 lights looked wired and not self contained. How’d they get power to that on the front fender? External battery tube? Conduit from fender to tank?
84924F3D-E93A-44F6-AE02-408D7A94368F.png

Back